1986 Corvette...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Wizard of Poz, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Anything I should look out for? Any major problems with this year? What should I look for when looking at the car? Also still expensive to fix?

2. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

C4=pos.

3. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

:slap: stfu. Normal stuff will go on the car. Window motors, radio ect. The car will serve you well. If I were you Id try and find a 91-96.

4. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister New Member

Agree with "you know me". Try and settle on a later-model C4. Other than that, nothing but normal wear-and-tear in most instances.

5. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

The 84 year was the best handling Corvette until the ZR1 came out. It's suspension was much stiffer and tight, but too many people complained it was too stiff, and would fatigue them on the street. The next year they brought out a softer suspension, wich in my opion was a mistake. 86 you are going to still have a 2 piece rear main seal on the engine, so look out for minor rear main leaks. The manuals are kinda crappy, I belive they used that doug nash 4+3, but I could be wrong. Automatics are the usual fair for those years of GM V8s. Should be a 700R-4, with upgraded steels and servo, but still could cause problems if not taken care of. They either work and work well, or are nothing but trouble for those years. None the less a simple rebuild with better parts will solve any automatic trans problems, and they can be made to take alot of abuse. Other than that, expect the usual problems for a car that age, like loosining of the interior panals, window motors, minor wear and tear issues. Corvettes tended to hold up a little better than average, but time make no exceptions for anybody.

6. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

The 4+3 isn't as bad as everyone says. The trans, if taken care of, will work well for a long time. What the 4+3 is a 4 speed manual transmission with 3 automatic gears attached to it. What most people forget to do is to change that atf in it and thats when you run into problems. I prefer the 90-96 Due to the ZF 6 speed and the updated dash. Body wise if we are talking about a non areobodyed non ZR-1 car I like the 91-96 only due to the rear bumber. All of these things are purley cosmetic and takes nothing away from the eairly cars though.