1984 Honda CRX HF, thinking about road racing. OTracers check in.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DI2009, Jan 30, 2004.

1. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

I have one at work that runs okay, needs minor body work (passenger fender, front cover between headlights.), I can buy it for $200 And I want to start some form of road racing. I used to do Solo II for a couple of years with my RX7s, and although it was fun, it did not last very long. So I want to take the next step. So I have a few questions, where have you seen these being raced? Solo I, WorldCarz, or the Nasa cup? I am trying to find specs on them, like IT7 but I can't find anything on the web. Also where can I get suspension parts for them? or would I have to pretty much customize the suspension mounts to fit other equipment? building this car to a stock class would be very inexpensive IMO, I priced many of the parts and almost all parts had an average price of $41 dollars. I really wanted to do the VW Rabbit NASA Cup, but they are not yet available in my area, and I do not have the means to travel across the U.S. to race. My racing budget would be about $2,000 a month if need be. So I am trying to get an Idea if the CRX would be a wise choice, or to find something better that may be just as cheap. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

my dad and I were thinkin of doing the exact same thing. But with an 89. It's sittin in my backyard right now, but we were gonna do the gutted, caged, race suspension setup :big grin:

But he told me I can have it to do with as I please, so I am probably gonna make it EXTREMELY ricey... scissor doors and all :wiggle:

and just buy another one to race with in the future... or just stick with karts...

but to answer your question? I dunno... I didn't read it

3. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

This car would be just for racing, so I too plan on gutting it out completely, removing the dash, carpets, panels and everything, bare bones, racing cage, fuel cell, race panel, my friend does sheetmetal for some bush series teams, and he will do one for free, I will then add the normal gauges like water temp, engine temp, and tach. But I am having a hard time finding a good racing source.

4. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

go to a bookstore and look for Grassroots Motorsports magazine. They have a lot of fabricators and just companies that sell A LOT of race related products. Shit you can't find in say, Super Street.

5. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

use to have 2 of them, stick with the 84s they're about 40-50lbs lighter when stripped out :o

6. assclown

assclown Active Member

The HF is lightest, and I believe fuel injected. Stay away from curbereted DX's. You can easily swap a newer D series motor, and they can get pretty beefy with some work. Especially if you build the bottom end and boost it. It should be a very fun car to play with. I've owned 3 CRX's but all 2nd gens.

7. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

:dunno: the answers you're looking for, my guess would be to hit up a true racing forum I'd start here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Pretty sure there are age limits on cars for certain classes but there might be something specific to honda/CRX guess it depends on how serious you want to end up, and how deep into debt :hs: