1983 porsche 944 questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thefastlane, Jun 29, 2005.

1. thefastlane

thefastlane Rome SDS

my friend has a 1983 porsche 944 that he is going to give me. the problem is that the car does not have a clutch currently , and will need a new transmission fairly soon as well. my question is how much will it cost to buy a new transmission and clutch or say a slightly used one. and any other problems i should look out for?

2. Chicane

Chicane Ad Hoc OT Supporter

The clutch and transmission of the 1983.5 Porsche 944 is different from traditional cars.

The Transmission is mounted in the rear of the car and is connected to the engine by a torque tube. It's not terribly more complex than a traditional setup, but it can be confusing and intimidating to those that haven't worked on one before.

Transmissions can be found, but they are not cheap. Most affordable transmissions that you will find will probably need to be rebuilt.

You should also keep in mind that there are several very costly subsystems on the 944 that make cheap to free cars very prohibitive to those that don't have experience or piles of money.

This free car could cost you several thousand dollars to simply make functional.

Good luck.

3. L0cke

L0cke New Member

944s tranny is a transaxle mounted at the rear axle. Clutches are a pain on 944s because you need to remove the transaxle, and the exhaust system. Lucky (kinda, ha) for you that you need a new tranny, so you can do both at the same time.

Find out when the last time the timing belt and water pump were changed. Timing belts are known to go, and when they do you will need a top end rebuild. Water pump is important because when the water pump fails, it often leaks onto the timing belt causing it to go.

Also the power steering, if yours has it, is known to leak. Also the motor mounts are a common problem.

For all your 944 needs, check out this site
    www.clarks-garage.com

4. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

my advice to you is to part out the car. its not worth what you will have to put into it, unless you are a junkyard scavengine rockstar with a sweet set of tools.

5. dont touch it. WAY lots of money. 4 grand, maybe 5. And then shit will start to break. A grand every time it goes to the shop. Dont touch it.

6. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

If you can do it all yourself it might be worthwhile. If you have to send it to a shop to get the work done on it RUN, don't walk away from the car. Clutch parts are about $600, tranny I dunno, haven't had to replace it in mine. Call up part's heaven and see how much they're charging (www.partsheaven.com). Be prepared for a lot of work, the clutch on a 944 is the one thing I wouldn't want to do again.

7. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

How are 944s performance-wise?

I've seen a few really nice ones roaming around, but most on the ones I've seen on the street looked like they should be sent to the scrap heap. It looked like the owners were driving them just so they could say they had a porsche.

8. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

Early 80's are slow, '86+ turbos are fast, the "S" version turbos (and then '88+ turbos, which are the same as the earlier turbo S's) were faster than the 911's of the same period.

9. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

they handle amazingly, i love driving my dads

original owner, 27k miles on it, 1984

10. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

slow is a retarded statement considering the car would outrun/outhandle a lot of so called 'pocket rockets' of today

11. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

There are lots of 944s out there that are simply a crime...so many are not kept in good shape and maintained. It is this sad aspect that has labeled the 944 as the "cheap Porsche" or "poor man's Porsche." It's a marvelous car, especially the turbos...but what the N/A 944 lacks in power it more than makes up in fun-to-drive characteristics.

12. If it is gree, get ready to put ALOT of money into it. 1200.00 for the clutch hob alone. 800.00 for a used tranny, not including labor to install, timing belts, chains etc, all need replacement, 2500.00, hoses, 700.00. brakes, 350.00, shocks, 7-900.00. I know all this because I have a 944S that I have invested well over 30K into. It is a beast now, it has been gone over very well and runs like a champ. But it WILL COST YOU ALOT TO GET IT ROADWORTHY.

13. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

post pics!