1977 (?) Yamaha 650 - First Bike ?'s

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by eighteen_psi, Jul 6, 2003.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

A friend of mine has what he says is a 1977 Yamaha 650 of some sort. I liked the way it looks and have been considering a bike for a while (I have no desire for a rocket but I'm a big guy (5-10, 250LBS) and want a practical/somewhat fun ride mainly for around town transportation.

He says I can have it for free but it needs a few things..mainly new coils, gauges and what not.

Insurance wise, I hear over 600cc is grounds for a big bump (but it has no fairings)...does this apply to the old bikes as well as the new? I live in CA BTW.

I've ridden an R6 around a lot before...didn't do much for me and I'm (wisely I hope) afraid of the thing seeing what a tiny bit of throttle did. I've got a bit of time on various dirt bikes up to 750cc so I can ride reasonably well but I certainly am no pro. Friend's description is that the bike is heavy and not super fast but I'd imagine it would easily have enough power for a first time bike. Anyone know what this bike might be? I can take pics next weekend if no one knows from my poor description. Any feedback, advice on riding gear and what not is welcome. I know a lot about some stuff but bike's aren't one of them. Help me out! :cool:

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

3. eighteen_psi

I saw a bunch of those XS's and parts around ebay while looking to price gauges...from my brief look at his today I didn't take enough note (and he didn't know what it was exactly) to tell. It seemed to be umm...smoother, longer maybe? Perhaps just the angle I saw it from.

More to the point, I shouldn't have any issue insuring, replacing parts, or surviving a ride on it then.

I'll take pics next chance I get to see it. Thanks wolf...any more?

EDIT: Actually, though I didn't see the front of it much, my friend told me it was an I-4, not a twin...does that help or was he full of it? (Dunno why I didn't notice that).

4. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Maybe an early 80s 650 Maxim?
    [​IMG]

You might have trouble finding parts for older bikes (older than 90's models), stuff like spark plugs are easy, but other things like shocks and engine covers, you'll have to search through salvage yards.

5. eighteen_psi

That looks more like it. Can anyone venture an opinion on the reliability/quality etc of said bikes during this time (late 70s-early 80s)?

6. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

My roommate has an 82 650 Maxim....It rides pretty nice...its reliable too....just make sure the tires...forks...and brakes are good.....also a check on the clutch would be a good idea.

From my experience riding it....she seemed really steady....even with a pasenger....My R6 is hell having a pasenger....riding my 6 with a pasenger takes all the fun out of riding casue it takes more concentration becasue of all the extra top heavy weight of another person.

I don't really like the handle bars on the maxim....but thats just me.....its a cheap thing to change any how....I would say it would be a good bike for transportation.