1974 Olds Cutlass. $300. Worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Synner, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Synner

Synner New Member

Completely stock. A little ragged out, but it's all usual wear and tear for an old car with an asshat for an owner.

One mechanical problem. To start it, you have to pour gas into the carb. Once it fires, it runs fine, until it has to sit and idle for a few minutes. Then it stalls, and you have to start the routine all over.

Outside of that little condition, the body has very little rust, and it's original down to the hubcaps. I'm thinking it's worth the money, just because if it's a massive piece of crap, I can damn near make my money back by junking it.

Any opinions on this? What might be wrong, what kind of crap I might have to deal with two weeks down the road...would you take the risk?

2. Somatic

Somatic OG Lurker ftw

buy it

3. Fareo

Fareo New Member

never a fan of the 74 body style but $300 for a complete muscle car? if you got the space to keep it id say get it!

4. Synner

Synner New Member

Oh yeah....few forgotten details.

1.) Not quite muscle car. Automatic, not sure on engine size (or mileage, for that matter)...but baby blue paint with a white vinyl half top.

2.) The up side...it'll be a daily driver for a while. So no major work. I already called the junk yard to price a carb, $45. So outside of tags and insurance, I'll be ~$350 in. And considering it drives fine as long as there's pressure on the pedal, I'm assuming it could be something as small as a fuel filter.

I'm pretty much sold on it already, even though everyone that knows the owner says it's a ragged out piece of shit. I'll take on the trouble. Just wanted others' opinions on it. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

EDIT: Did some googling. Owner really is an asshat. He said '74, but it's more '78-ish. Dead on for '78, but I'm not sure how long it was made in that style. Total square body, flat split grille.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i love 78's

6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Do it.

The tranny, diff, and motor should be worth more than $300 if you need to part it out.

Beats a fucking civic for a DD.

7. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Could have anything from an old 231 cu in 6 to a 305 under the hood. If you're lucky, it might be one of the last with an actual Olds engine (not that all the late Olds motors were worth a fuck, but a 350 Rocket build could have potential).

Or, find a wrecked Grand National, transplant the drivetrain, and build yourself a nice little sleeper

8. Fareo

Fareo New Member

1) been there done that, thats an easy fix...

[​IMG]

nothing wrong with an automatic :o

9. Fareo

Fareo New Member

a 78 is an improvement over a 74 IMO :o

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

A buddy of mine had a '72 Cutlass 442 in high school he bought for $500. Rusted out rear quarters and trunk floor, completely faded and oxidized paint, torn up bench seats, 455 automatic with A/C that didn't work. He drove it like the Duke boys drove the General Lee and it was a riot. We went drifting, offroading, drag racing, donuts on frozen lakes and gravel, blew through snow drifts, cruised it and loaded it up for prom, awesome car.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like the choke is fucked, and aside from that, the carb is tuned just rich enough that it floods the engine if the engine doesn't get enough air for long enough. Probably all you need is a new carb assembly, tuned by someone who knows what the fuck they're doing.

(or an EFI kit. :fawk:)

In any event, what the hell else can you buy for $300 that will keep you entertained for a few weeks straight? An Xbox, maybe? Not without dropping another $100 on games.

12. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

Holy shit that thing is fucking ugly

13. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Are you nuts?

I'd take this;

[​IMG]

over any shitty box-shaped '78.

However, '72 & older >*.

14. Fareo

Fareo New Member

yes.. yes.. i am.. now dont you feel stupid. :o

15. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I'm not big on 73+ A-bodies, but if you like it then $300 is a steal. Yank the drive train and stick in a 455, TH400, and 12-bolt and call it a day.

16. deusexaethera

:rofl:

You know, on the whole I think American Muscle is even more humorless than Computers and Programming. (That must be why it's further down on the list.)

17. Fareo

Fareo New Member

*edit i read that post wrong*

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  18. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

If you pour gas into the carb and it starts and runs, you don't need a new carb. You have a bad pump or filter .. the one that is one there is rebuildable if it runs. Save that money and get a new pump and filter ... maybe blow out the crud in the lines and get a rebuild kit from the local auto parts store for $20.

I had a 78 Gran Prix with a Chevy 350 /TH350/posi rear, that thing was awesome. Just enough of a sleeper to make everyone do a double take. :big grin:

19. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Actually, no.

As for the Cutlasses, to each their own. I was raised around the older ones, so I'm kinda biased.

It's all good...:cool:

20. deusexaethera

Well...but he's saying it needs fuel poured in just to get it to start, not to keep it running. Supposedly it runs just fine as long as the engine is actually under load, and is getting enough air to make small errors in fuel trim a non-issue. Doesn't that suggest the inability to start is a choke problem? If the fuel line were underpressurized, wouldn't the engine have trouble running under pretty much all conditions?

The hell you say. :rofl:

21. Fareo

Fareo New Member

im sure we can both agree that the 69-72 was king dingaling of the cutlass family but for some reason i kinda dig the late 70s early 80s boxey GMs (ie malibu, monte, cutlass) do i think there awesome? no.. but intriging? yes

:hsughno:

22. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

[​IMG]

23. twistid

i had a 70's model truck that acted this way, and it's problem was something as simple as rotted/cracked fuel line... lifted the bed off the frame to get to the tank, installed fresh fuel line... after that it started, and ran like it should.

24. deusexaethera

Huh. I'd be interested to know the physics of that. I would have thought low fuel pressure would cause problems whenever the engine was running, not just while starting it.

25. twistid

i have no idea... i just know it fixed it... it originally had a mechanical fuel pump, and i did not have a problem until i switched to an electrical fuel pump.