192.168.0.XX Vs. 192.168.1.XX ??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OakleyTodd, Oct 19, 2007.

1. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

We recently added a VPN router into our network. The server was using a local ip of 192.168.0.XX

The new router is only able to use ip number in the 192.168.1.XX range. The difference is the 0 or 1 that is underlined. Is the zero format something older? Why didnt the new router allow me to use a .0 format instead of the .1 format?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

different subnet... you'll have to setup your router so that the two networks can talk to each other. One is not "old".

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

I am covering VLAN's in my CCNA class right now. I thought I could add something intelligent to this conversation.
    I can't really. I can't really add anything intelligent.
    Except to say that manageing a VPN might be fairly technical and kind of hard to do.

I am trying not to be smart, but if you are asking about the difference between .1 and .0 then you are probably in over your head if you want to make changes at the router level to a VPN.

4. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

In over my head? Thats what I have been trying to tell the owner! I'm and engineer, not an IT guy. I got chosen by default since I seem to be computer savy. Guess it's their way of trying to save some cash.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get into the router to change it's IP.

Just give your machine an IP in the same subnet as the router and make the change.

What's the make/model of the device?

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

He can absolutely do it. But he shouldn't have to.

7. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

So after a day of figiting around with everything, I got things back up and running. When I orginally posted, I had no clue about subnets. After reading the replies here, and reading some stuff on Google, it makes sense to me now. I got the server, and all the client computers back on, and playing nicely. My next project is to move the print servers over to the new subnet. I guess what I will do is give my laptop an ip on the old subnet, and then change them over.

Thanks for the help.