GUN 1911's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by millero, Apr 28, 2005.

1. millero

millero Aluminum Member

Have yall had any experience with the smaller 1911's that are out? Good/Bad things about them??

Also, who makes the best 1911?

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

When I think of 1911 I think Springfield or Kimber

3. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

First of all for what purpose are you buying the gun? Only reason I'd get a smaller 1911 is for ease of carrying it. Find a setup thats comfy for you, find a appropriate barrel length and a proper frame size. My personal favorite is the Ultra CDP II from Kimber, that is if you're looking for a quality factory gun. However if you're willing to build it, the world of 1911s is open. A good mil-spec 3 inch can be bought for cheap from Springy and parts are plenty from various companies. I just picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry, it needs a little work but its a great carry gun. Slim profile 1911s are great carry weapons with the appropriate holsters.
    I love Baer 1911s

4. millero

millero Aluminum Member

My purpose for most of the guns that I have and that I buy are to have. I have a small collection of revolvers and long guns. I don't know a lot about the 1911's but I like how they feel and how they look.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the 3" 1911's are hit and miss with reliability. Sometimes you can get one right out of the box that functions flawlessly. Other times it takes a few trips back and forth to the factory to work out problems with feeding. Worst ones I have seen though have been the WartHawgs from Para. tons of FTF/FTEs on the 4 I have seen in person.

Jury is still out on the Springfied Defender in .45gap. Hopefully since they redesigned everything, it will be a reliable little gun out of the box, but time will tell.

6. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

I don't trust any 1911 that's less than a 4", but that's just my own personal bias -- there's no real logic or stats behind it.

7. millero

millero Aluminum Member

But I just love how small they are yet still look like 1911's.

8. fastlif

fastlif New Member

Colt Deffender is the only 3" I would trust, others are hit and miss, of all the horor stories you hear, you never hear of the COlt. I carry one daily,

9. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Most 3 inch 1911s I've seen haven't been all that reliable, except for the Ultra CDP II which is the only reason I'd even suggest it. If you're interested in just having one, I'd suggest building one off a springy and using quality parts. However if its your first 1911 I'd suggest getting a 5 inch, cause getting a 1911 to run on a budget is a fairly difficult thing and when you start getting to the 3inch ones its only get more expensive. Because like others have said in the post these things are hit and miss. But stay away from the paras cause those are mostly misses.

10. millero

millero Aluminum Member

We have 2 older 1911's. One "Property of US Army" and one US Government Model. I just want new playtoys to shoot.