GUN 1911A1 crew: Firing Pin Stop Drop Malfunction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dolan, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dolan

Dolan OT Supporter

Hey guys,

I've got a very old Colt 1911A1 from 1933. It was "restored" before I bought it (Not entirely sure what they meant by that).

I probably put 600 rounds through it after I got it with no problem. Then, at the range, I had a firing pin stop drop malfunction, and ended up losing the stop itself, along with the firing pin and spring.

I ordered replacements for a 3 parts, put them back in place, and tested it out today. Got 7 shots off, but when I fired the last round of the first magazine, the exact same thing happened again.

What do I need to do to fix this for good? If I simply order an oversized stop, and file it to fit my gun, will that do the trick?

I'd like to fix this for as little as possible. It's just a toy to shoot with, not a carry or home defense gun or anything, so I'd like to avoid a gunsmith if at all possible.

Thanks OT :bowdown:

2. Dolan

Dolan OT Supporter

Actually, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with it.

I put it back together just now, and when I dry fire it, the firing pin gets stuck fully extended, and the stop simply falls out because there isn't anything holding it in place.

I have to push the pin back in to place (forcefully) from the inside of the slide to get it back in place, but when I dry fire it again, the pin gets stuck every time. :dunno:

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

What was the last time you cleaned the firing pin channel? Take a q tip to it and tell me if you see any shiny flakes on the inside. Something is obstructing your firing pin in there. I have a feeling it's primer flow and you've acquired enough to start to jam your firing pin. I have a feeling someone may have stuck an undersized/unfitted pin and slide stop on that gun.

4. Dolan

Dolan OT Supporter

Thanks for the advice.

I pulled it and took a couple Q-tips to it. No shiny flakes, but I did get some black sooty gunk out of there. Not a ton, but it turned the ends of 3 q-tips (6 ends) black. :dunno:

On the bright side, I put it back together, and dry firing it (with a bic pen in the end), I can't get the pin to stick again. So maybe it was just dirtier than I thought.

One more question: How loose is the firing pin stop supposed to be? Without the pin/spring in place, if the gun is in the upright position, the stop won't stay in place due to gravity. When it is in place, with the pin/spring still out, the stop can wiggle a little side to side.

With the pin/spring in place, it feels really tight, but I guess that's to be expected.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  5. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I'd say that if your FP stop is falling out of its own accord, it might be a little loose in its channel.
    An EGW Oversized Firing Pin Stop, properly fitted, with just a little bevel to the lower-rear corner, might help a lot. And it's not an expensive part. IIRC, it's about $15, and if you're careful, you can fit it in with just a fine metal file.... let me dig up a link to that process...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=60757
    This one gets into detail, and the OP there admits that the equipment used was kinda overboard, but there it is.

6. Dolan

Dolan OT Supporter

Ordered one, thanks for the link.

Hopefully the firing pin cleaning + oversized stop will do the trick. I'm dying to shoot it again. :)