GUN 1911 reassembly question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Dec 14, 2006.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I just picked up a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1. Anyway, I took it apart after about 160 rounds b/c I wanted to clean it, but also there wwas an over abundance of oil from factory it seemed. Anyway, when putting it back together I had a terrible time with the slide stop. The slide stop would not go back in b/c the slide stop plunger was in the way. I ended up taking an alan wrench and pushing the stop plunger in while pushing the slide stop back into place. Is there an easier way to do this? The manual doesn't really explain in detail how to put the slide stop back it...and it's a pita. Anyway, I put a little oil along the slide, and around the barrel. The only other pistol I've owned was a Glock G19..and the manual pointed out the points I should oil...the springfield does not. I also know the G19 requires very little oil. It seems the springfield likes lots of oil based from how it was shipped.

Anyway, any help regarding slide stop assembly and oiling on this gun would be great. Thanks guys.

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

What is the slide stop plunger? Do you mean the barrel link? I just kinda wiggle the slide/barrel combo a little to get the link in position, then push the slide stop through.

As for oiling, I just put a light coat inside the barrel, on the slide rails, and the other assorted moving parts. And/or a squirt of WD-40 on the silicone rag I use for wipe-down / reassembly before putting the gun away. :hs:

Edit: now you're going to be like me and want to start putting Wilson Combat parts in it. :mamoru:

:coold:

3. Crossett

Crossett New Member

the only thing that gave me trouble when i first disassembled mine was the barrel link. i had to look through and see when it was lined up so i could put the slide stop through. after a couple times you just kind of know where it goes though

4. JaimeZX

Yah. And wiggling helps. :p

5. Accord

Accord New Member

Get rid of the shitty 2 piece guide rod and things will be a LOT easier.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

7. JaimeZX

OH. You have a FLGR?

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have never had a problem tearing down and cleaning my 1911, but that may be because it is a 1918 build. I'll be picking up a cheap one to build off of this weekend if I can find a good deal.

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Here is a picture showing what I am talking about. I had no problem putting it through the barell link...but the slide stop would get hung up on the stop plunger. In the picture you can see the plunger is right up against the slide stop. This is how my gun is. I had to push the plunger in with an alan wrench while pushing down hard on the slide stop. This can't be the right way. Anway, here is a pic to show what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

10. Accord

Accord New Member

Oh, that's easy. Take a business card/playing card/something hard and flat and just depress the detent and it'll go in easy.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

Yes... and it is SO much easier to field strip and reassemble now.

12. JaimeZX

:sad2: The host the pic is on is blocked here, but I'll be home next week and then maybe I'll see what's going on there.

And Accord - I'm guessing you're being facecious. :rofl: I just got a FLGR but I'm thinking about ditching it. :p

13. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm as serious as a heart attack.

14. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Start the slide release at the bottom of the plunger tube, and push up and in. They are hard at first, but will break in and become easier. You could try slipping a credit card or something in there to help it in. You really don't want to put too much pressue on the PT.

15. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:h5:

16. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try your methods next time I'm putting it back together.