GUN 1911 question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Formula-95, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

lately i've had an urge to get another 1911. specifically to customize. i have my Gunsite S&W that i really like, and I don't really want to mess with it, so what 1911 could I get at a decent price to start modding it?

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

modding it to do what? CCW, bullseye, NRA, Bianchi, IDPA, USPSA, Steel challenge, plinking, safequeen with an occassional range visit?

3. Formula-95

good looking/accurate plinker i guess...not wanting to compete or anything like that, i just want it to look as good as it shoots and vice versa.

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

How balla are you?

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

The essential question of any 1911 discussion :rofl:

6. Formula-95

im decently balla

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

More importantly, do you know what you want?

A question as open as that could get your wallet hurt. That's like walking into a car tuner shop and saying " I want my car to look good, and go fast..."

Okay, not going to get all elitest on you. What I would recommend is do some homework and go fiddling with guns. Learn what you want, and don't want. What works for me might not work for you. And modifications and guns are so very subjective.

You can anywhere from a STI Spartan, to a Les Baer.

Commander or Government

70 series or 80 series

Extended or tactical controls

blued or Polished

heavy, light

Reliability, or performance

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

By decent price, what are you thinking?

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Make it even easier for you, just go out and buy a semi custom, have it all done, cry once. You could get a nice Semi for around 1100-1500.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

10. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i just came in here to say that 1911's are sexy

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The more I look at them, the more I think they are an excellent deal.

Even with the Brownells trick to get cheap pricing, I was looking at $1k in parts when I was tinkering around earlier tonight. Granted, that's top flight stuff, but still. Fusion is a good value I think.

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I really like my Fusion. Its pretty close to the quality of my Wilson...but not quite. Its to the point that anything nicer than the Fusion starts to be small incremental steps. When you get a Wilson or a Baer, you're definitely getting something nicer, but its close. I think the value in the Fusions are great.

Here are some photos of mine that were sent to me by Bob Serva before he shipped it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What's the deal with the STI Rangers? And whats the general thought on the Springfield 1911's?

14. sprite

sprite Active Member

Never seen you post that before. VERY nice.

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

Good gun, but I'd rather have the STI Trojan. I love my Springfield 1911, but fit and finish was nothing even close to my Dan Wesson.

16. kds000

kds000 New Member

that fusion is really clean

17. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thanks, it actually looks even better in real life. There is a bit more contrast between the grey frame and the black slide and parts. The grips are also a bit darker in real life so they match a bit better as well.

It also has a black hammer and trigger now too. Those photos were sent to show the final build before shipping. During our back and forth several times and my changing parts a few times here and there, we had some miscommunication and he thought I wanted the silver, but I really wanted black.

The awesome thing about working with the owner of the company personally, is that he understood where we had the issue and said no problem, and had the proper hammer and trigger fitted within two days and shipped off to the FFL.

Great to work with and not something you could get buying a STI or anything like that.

Totally recommend working with him if you have a desire. That build cost just a bit shy of $1500, only a few hundred more than an off the shelf Kimber, Springfield or STI, but I got to specify the details of the gun, the finish, the small parts, etc. Great company. Will go to them again in the future for other 1911 builds.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I like that Fusion, and your story pretty much follows all that I've heard.

You had a chance to shoot it yet? What do you think about those adjustable Novak deals? I have a springer I've though about putting them on....

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah. I shot it a few times recently.

At first I thought I was having some issues with it and Bob was very receptive in helping me to get it resolved. I was having double feeds and failures to extract.

However, it turned out that it was just the powder puff ammo I was putting through it and with it being new and really tight, it just was short stroking on the cheap powder puff stuff.

Once I started running some good 124 and 147 grain ammo through it, its singing like a champ. 147 grain 9mm out of it is very sweet to shoot.

I like the sight. I like the fact that its adjustable and like the fact its lower profile and smoother than something like a Bo-Mar sight. With the black rear and the fiber front its a really nice sight picture that is quick to pick up and really bright during the day.

I'd recommend them. Bo-Mars are great for a competition only pistol, but the Novak is a great compromise and I'd use them again.

Thats part of the beauty of the Fusion build. I could specify that sight as opposed to a Bo-Mar, or three dot, or tritium or full fiber. You get exactly what you want without having to pay to switch it later like an off the shelf gun.

As a note, the slide to frame fit, the bushing to slide fit and the barrel to bushing fit is all tighter than my Wilson and has absolutely ZERO play or movement in any of that whatsoever. Very clean build.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  20. AB13

AB13 New Member

1911 9mm likes hotter loads. I run 124gn in front of 4.45grains of TiteGroup to make 145 powerfactor. And I load it a little longer at 1.145. I also fooled around with the recoil and mainspring and my Springer 9mm runs like a champ.

21. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm looking for something to start with. I don't want to spend money on crap, but this will be my first 1911. I'm going to the local shop next week to play with a few to see what I think.

22. Formula-95

pretty much the nicest handgun i own is the gunsite. what i originally meant in this thread was that i wanted to put it together myself, but most peoples on here are suggesting going with a high end 1911, which i also dont have a problem with...i guess i'd say i dont wanna spend more than $2k on one. i pretty much want a gun that when i pull it out in front of my friends their jaws will drop. my buddy has a nice gold cup, im thinkin i want stainless, as the rest of my handguns are all black (blued, whatever) i know this makes me sound like a noob getting in over my head, but im not. i just want a sweet ass gun with a smooth crisp trigger and looks that kill....pun intended. and hell, i may even ccw it

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Fusion and STI both also sell frame slide kits so you can then assemble it yourself with the parts you want if you want to do it that way. They are pre-fitted so you dont have to do the frame to slide fit but can then just do the rest of it.

Might want to look into that.

24. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

Get a Taurus 1911!

:io:

25. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've wanted to do a 1911 for myself as well, at some point in my life. I've played with them since I was pretty much born, and I think I could do most of it.

With today's "pre fit" parts, I think that's possible for someone who is mechanically inclined, and has some handtools. Realize that you won't be saving any money, and you will likely never get back what you put into it (even strictly money in parts). Without access to machine tools, you will also be getting a fairly tame looking gun (which might not be a problem). There is also the risk that you will mulch parts, or have a gun that won't shoot.

Myself, I was looking at the STI pre-fit kit, and running a Kart EZ-fit barrel. Thinking about trying the SVI deal for a trigger. Thats the big stuff, anyways. I am close friends with a decent gunsmith, so I could always go to him for help if I get stuck. If you are serious about the endeavor, read everything you can find over at the 1911 forums..... Lots of good shit over there.

I put together a basic parts list from Brownells using the discount trick, and was looking at ~1200 in parts alone. Shit's not cheap.

I saved this picture from a Brian Enos SingleStack thread. I really like the machine work on this gun's slide. Supposedly it was an early SIG prototype.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008