GUN 1911 Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tdizzle, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Got a Taurus PT1911 a couple of weeks ago and when cleaning after about a week the left side of the ambi safety popped out. Managed to put it back in without any complications and seems to engage fine when activated. However when testing it, put it on safety and sqeezed the trigger a couple of times to make sure it worked, after I took it off safe the hammer dropped down to half-cock. Is this normal for 1911's? Or should I get this checked out to be sure nothing is going haywire in there?

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

that not behavior I have seen in either my Colt 1911 or my RIA 1911A1. I would attempt reinstalling the safety and if it still does it get it checked out. Half cocked is supposed to be another level of safety a kind of last stand, so something isn't right.

Only reason I tell you to try yourself first is if you do a quick google search you can find enough information to tear a 1911 apart completely and reassemble it completely and its very easy once you do it once.

3. Furner

Furner New Member

I would highly suggest posing that question to the smiths at louder than words
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/
    that group of professionals are some of the finest 1911 gunsmiths in the industry. Ned Christiansen is one of them, I know he knows right away how to fix that problem, im looking in the 1911 book I got from him and I cant find the solution, I think its in there, but anyways, when I took his class he explained that exact problem and how to fix it.

while you are at it get rid of that ambi-safety.

4. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

OK thanks guys, ill check that out. But yea the ambi safety came with it. I'm not to hot on it myself since I'm right handed anyway.