GUN 1911/Kimber owners within please.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1BadZ, Nov 7, 2007.

1. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I'm thinking about selling the XD to a friend who wants it, and upgrade to either a 1911, Sig P220, or a S&W wheel gun for my daily carry. I don't really care about how large the pistol is because I've been carrying my 4" full size .45 ACP XD around all the time.

My budget is around $800-$1100. Closer to $800 the better. I'd like a 5" barrel as well. And if any double stack 1911's are available in the price range, that'd be good as well, but not necessary.

1) What 1911 would you get in that price range and why?

2) A few Kimber 1911s are in my price range. To anyone who owns one: How do you like your's?

Thanks!

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Colt CCO would be one of my first choices in that price range. Or Gunsite CCO if possible. None on Gunbroker right now. Obviously Les Baer or Wilson Combat, if you could get them would be great. I guess you could get a Kimber. You might try the STI recommended in the first of the above-linked threads; that'd save you $$ for a good holster and a bunch of ammo to run through it. :)

3. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

For concealed carry, an $800 1911 is hardly an upgrade...

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Glock + upgrades + holster + ammo.... definitely under budget!

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

is it true that if you dont get one of the upper expensive kimbers then you might as well get something like a springfield or taurus 1911?

6. JaimeZX

Colt > Springfield >> Taurus

But really as long as you can put a lot of rounds through the weapon without problems I think it should be safe to carry. The differences are going to be in longevity & satisfaction which are both functions of build quality. Obviously any of the mass manufacturers can put out a lemon every now and then; the idea behind the custom guys is that due to the amount of personal time the experienced gunsmiths spend on the guns. Of course, you'll pay for that attention. On the flip side you'd expect better construction and by extension reliability & accuracy.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

besides sti, who else makes 2011's? Preferably more reasonably priced.

8. JaimeZX

Meh. The NEW Colts are fine; there was a brief run a few years ago that weren't quite up to snuff but that was taken care of pretty quickly. :dunno:

9. JaimeZX

Wut. I haven't heard of that. :squint:

The problem a few years ago was some poor MIM parts. :o

Edited for shitty grammar. :(

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  10. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

What the hell are 2011s

11. JaimeZX

Double-stack 1911s

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The STIs have square frames and slides, with rails on the frame. Overall, I like the look better.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

SVI's and STI's. Race frame double stack 1911's.

http://sviguns.com/ph/?indx=63

Kimbers, Springfields and Colts are the equivelent of a Mercede in the 1911/2011 worlds. 1911/2011's built by STI, Brazo and SVI are the Maybachs of the 1911/2011 world.

Let me show you them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This what you buy, when you KNOW what you want and not just going to the gun store saying "hey, I can afford that...". lol

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here you go...
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3478684

15. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

I have a P220 and a Taurus PT1911. I actually shoot the Taurus better. It's a fantastic gun. I know some Kimber fanatics locally, and a couple of them bought the Taurus just to try to fuck it up. They couldn't and swear it's on par with their super awesome totally wonderful Kimbers. I've shot a lot of Kimbers and I just can't justify the price when my Taurus functions so well.

In your price range (or maybe a tad more), you might just be able to get a used P220 (you can find them for ~$500) AND a PT1911 (I got mine NIB for $500). 2 guns > 1gun, IMO.

16. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If it's a carry gun, don't forget to budget in for a good holster, magazines, and enough carry ammo to confirm function.

17. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I was just at the gun store and was handling/fondling a S&W 1911 that felt and looked great. S&W has a promotion on right now for a holster and mag holder for new 1911 purchases thru the end of the year I think.

18. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

Kimber makes a double stacked 1911 with a polymer frame. i think AIM surplus has some for decent price?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Kimber_Ten_II_High_Capacity_Stainless_Steel_.45acp.html

I know para makes a lot of double stacked 1911's as well.

as for a kimber owner. I just bought a Gold Match II in stainless. with a CT laser grip for $800.

justifying that the CT grips are 200 used on classifieds. I got it for $600. they look way better than the other new 1911's in the 600 range.

they also had another gun there, it was a Kimber TLE/RL II (not so sure about model, it had a rail) with CT grips and 6 Wilsons mags for $900. considering the mags are 30 a piece and the grips are 200. that gun is $520.

SO i say shop the used market, you can certianly get good deals there.

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, you can also inherit other peoples problems with the old gun as well. Which is why I don't buy used, I've been burned almost every time. I'd rather not waste my time and efforts towards that.

My gun decisions aren't driven off what's "in my price range" in the used counter that "catches my eye". Do your research ahead of time, know exactly what you want and do your research outside what the gun store clerk wants to steer you to. Save if you must, shop around and buy exactly what you want.

Your gold match is nice, but I wouldn't suggest the TLE's or Kimbers double stack poly's. It's not coincidence that there's always a "deal" on them. Para double stacks are the same deal. Proprietary extractors and parts are not that cool. They're kinda like Fiero's, of the tens of thousands that know them for what they are, there will be a strong few that'll defend them and have got them to work. It's all in the numbers, I'm sure their bound to make a few that'll run forever, but for the most part I hear more issues than praise with them.

Don't be too anxious to buy, do your research and save up and get exactly what you want, in the end and long run you will be very glad you had. I'd rather have 2 really nice guns than a bunch of turds.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

The holsters come from a reputable holster maker, but they are the injected molded holsters you can buy for $19 a piece. So don't give it too much leverage in your gun buying decision. They're good enough for competition, one of our local Production champs ran them just fine.

But yeah, I hear you, those S&W 1911's by DK are pretty nice lookin and I haven't heard anything really bad about them, then again there's not a whole lot of folks with them either.

21. H.P.

H.P. Guest

Bud's Gun Shop has Dan Wesson Pointman 7 in .45 ACP and 10mm for something like $750 me thinks

22. MTech

MTech New Member

Yea I posted that too in the other thread my shop out here has a PM7 in 10mm in stock all custom out for like $800

[​IMG]

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've had my pointman for a couple weeks now, have shot 500 rounds, and it was solid enough for me to compete in two matches with it so far, and it's been outstanding. No problems what so ever and deadly accurate. I shot very very well with it and it's promising to be a very good game gun for 2008.

24. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

i'm kind of in the same boat, except I don't want to sell my XD. I've been eyeing the S&W 360PD....but MSRP on their website is ~900 :o

I already have a Colt Officer's.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007