GUN 1911 FTE problem...ideas?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SickOfItAll, Sep 18, 2009.

1. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

I have a 1911 with some FTE problems. The casing is getting stuck horizontally on the extractor, and sticking there. It's been happening about once every 3rd mag or so, on Chip McCormick, SA, and Wilson Combat mags. I generally have to rack the slide 6 or 7 times to get the casing to actually eject, it just stays stuck until then.

Any ideas, and what other information might be helpful in diagnosing? My first thought is to simply replace the extractor, but could it be an alignment or fit issue? Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

What make/model 1911 is this?

More helpfully, it could be seriously excessive extractor tension. Or an ejector issue. (I'm assuming that FTE is Fail To Eject, not Fail To Extract)

If it is extractor tension, that's pretty simple to fix by yourself, if you're careful. check out this page for a simple method.

3. SickOfItAll

Yeah, failure to eject, the casing is getting stuck on the extractor, and gets pulled backwards with the slide as I rack it each time.

As for make/model, it's a SA MC Operator. Thanks.

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Extractor tension would be the first thing I'd look at as well.

5. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

don't limp wrist

6. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

get a glock?:dunno:

7. john in jax

john in jax New Member

How's the ejector look/feel? Sounds like the extractor is doing a good job of grabbing the rim and dragging the case out and back, but the ejector is not kicking the shell out.

Have you taken the slide apart and cleaned the extractor channel?

8. SickOfItAll

I have not. I'm currently doing the tension test...it's passing that with flying colors. To be honest, because this pistol is new to me, I haven't had a chance to detail strip it and give it a thorough cleaning. I didn't consider that really necessary - I gave it a quick field strip and cleaning when I purchased it, and the wipes all came through with fresh oil, as the previous owner had just cleaned it up, as he said he did.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's ain't gonna do it. Take the slide off and take a picture of the frame for me, specifically the ejector, not extractor.

What's the round count? Was it purchased new or used? Sounds to me more like a broke ejector than extractor issues, the extractor is doing what it's suppose to be doing from what you described.

10. john in jax

john in jax New Member

I'm with AB13, the more you describe the problem the more it sounds like an ejector problem.

11. SickOfItAll

I'll have to find my camera to take that picture, but I'll get it up. Just yanked the slide off and the ejector isn't obviously broken, but it could just be a clean break. Thanks for all the help so far, and for the record, yes I bought this pistol used, round count under 1000, but I don't know how much under 1000. Third owner.