GUN 1911 didn't happen, need help with other choices!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fst89lx, Nov 22, 2002.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Ok, After a lengthy talk w/ the parents they decided that I need to wait until sometime next year to buy a new handgun for myself, and that when I turn 21 my dad will either be giving me or selling to me quite cheaply his kimber customII 1911.

So since I will be acquiring his 1911 I decided to look into either buying a HK usp OR a Glock instead.

I don't really know which one to choose, I like the looks of the USP a little better than the glock, but they are a little on the expensive side (no less than 650 on gunsamerica.com) compared to the glock. So I turn to you all here, what would you reccomend and why? also both guns will be chambered for 9mm.

some quick questions that come to mind right now are which one is more controllable under rapid fire? Is one noticably more accurate than the other?

Also since I am here I have another unrelated question. My friends' grandfather has a junkyard of sorts (lots of old vehicles, and other shit) that we like to shoot our firearms at. My mother doesn't seem to think that this is legal... I say it is, why wouldn't it be??
    Thanks!

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Due to the lower bore axis, i find the Glocks a bit easier to control. From a ransom rest, i haven't found one to be inherently more accurate than the other.

Either one is a great gun, so it's totally up to you. (But that extra $150+ buys a lot of practice ammo ;) ) See which one feels more natural in your hand. i've seen really good shape USP9 going for low $500's, and a good Glock 19/17 should run about $400-450.

On private land, you should be ok as long as you have permission from the landowner. There may be requirements about being at least XXX yards away from the nearest building however. Best to call the PD in his area and ask them to be sure.

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I am not totally sure if this is a state law or not, but at least the local gunshop has the rule that if you are not 21 yrs old you CANNOT handle any handguns in the store period! which is a totally :greddy: rule because its not like I can't legally acquire one!

I will talk with the local police about the shooting, but I am pretty sure we are in the clear, the only houses that are closer than 1+mile away are to our backs and even they are like a 1/2 mile away from us.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

most of the time, it's a city limits sort of thing. like, no discharging firearms within said limits. also, unless you are in the presence of a 21-year old, you may not have in your possession a handgun, unless you are in the military or law enforcement. other exceptions, such as defense of one's self or others, also apply. however, if the guy you're shooting with is not 21 or older, you're breaking a federal law, i believe. i know for a fact that it's a georgia law, and probably nationwide. find out, or someone may get you in trouble.

you cannot legally aquire a handgun. it is a federal law. you must be 21 to own one. like i said above, you may have one in your possession if in the presence of a person 21 or older. buying a handgun for a minor is also a serious federal offense, so don't ask anyone to do it. the store has every right to not let you touch their stuff. after all, you can't buy it, so why even waste their time with you? that's probably the way they view it. they'll probably let you handle any firearm which you can legally pruchase if they're cool, even if they know you aren't serious about it. however, bring your dad along, and they may just let you handle the handguns.

5. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

In Michigan, if a person is of 18 or 19 years of age (I think its 18) he/she can legally purchase a handgun from a private party. I know this for a fact as I have researched it, the gun shop guy confirmed it, and my friend who is also 19 legally purchased a beretta cougar .40 cal (yes he did fill out a permit to purchase at the sheriffs office and registered the gun).

that is why I don't understand why I can't handle handgun at the gun shop, They won't even let me do it if my dad is there w/ me!

Also another question I forgot to ask earlier, Glocks aren't DAO are they?

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

well, that just goes to show you that research is your friend, because people can be wrong. i frequently am. i'd say find a friendlier shop to deal with, especially if you plan on buying more firearms in the future.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

State laws aside, federal law says a FFL dealer can only sell/cause to be delivered a handgun to a person 21+. So whether they're worried about selling to you under 21 or if they define "cause to be delivered" as letting you handle in the shop, that's totally their deal. Not uncommon around here either, but if someone over 21 is with you, i've never witnessed a problem. :dunno: Like we said, that's their prerogative.

Glock uses a patented system that is very similar, but not exactly traditional DAO. DAO, pulling the trigger both cocks the hammer and releases the hammer to fire. With Glock's "Safe Action" system, there is no hammer proper, rather a striker pin which is halfway cocked, then locked in position by a block when you cycle the slide. Pulling the trigger then releases the locking block, finishes cocking the striker and then releases the striker to fire.

From a user point of view, a Glock and DAO pistol function the same, pull trigger, gun goes bang. The difference is internal.

8. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I guess I am going to have to find someone who has a glock and will let me shoot it. I really prefer the light trigger pull of a single action gun, but depending on just how heavy the trigger pull is I may be able to live with it.

Thanks guys!

9. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I went up to Cabelas in dundee MI today to get some stuff, and I decided that I'd ask if I could handle some handguns, and lo and behold they let me! so I held a glock (I think 21?? ) it was a .45 omfg the grip was so huge and uncomfortable on it! Then I held a USP fullsize .45 and while it fit my hand MUCH better, it felt really topheavy to me. Neither guns seemed as balanced as a 1911... So now i don't know what in the hell to do!!

10. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Due to my personal expieriences with Glock and HK, I will never give my blessing to the Glock.

I carry one that I'm supposed to rely on if shit hits the fan to save me or a third person....I never leave home without my backup. I've been through 2 barrels, many hours at the armorers, and am ready to just say fuck it and get a whole new gun. So, needless to say my opinion on Glocks is a little skewed.

I've never had a problem with the HK. Good shooter, good gun in general, though it is a little pricier. I'd highly recommend saving up for an extra month or two to get the HK USP in the blued model. I have the 40 and love it

11. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I thought the same way till I loaded it. With a full mag the USP ( and my XD for that matter ) balance right out. I think it's kind of a down side to poly guns.