GUN 1911 crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Nov 3, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

what are the opinions of full length guide rods? I've read for and against them, haven't seen any real definitive testing. I've read that the marines opted against them. Someone educate me on their value/draw backs.

IBI'manidiotforattemptingtogetarationalunderstanding

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

The idea generally is that the barrel is kept more under control during the firing cycle and therefore accuracy ought to be improved. I bought a fancy one but honestly I haven't seen much difference. Could also be a problem with the trigger actuator.

In a carry piece there are some significant potential drawbacks to a FLGR including the inability to do a squeeze-chamber-check, difficulty racking the slide one-handed, etc. Additionally, the FLGR complicates field-stripping. I think I'm going to ditch mine. :hs:

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

So here's the next question, they sell these little plastic bumpers for fitting around the barrel, claiming it prevents impact to the frame and that the wear on them proves they are taking a beating, but it seems like they are just holding the barrel centered. Parts the wear out quickly FTL.

4. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Shok-Buff reduces reliability and is one of those unnecessary things that someone dreamed up to make them money. Which I have no problem with but I won't recommend the product either.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Ah I see, I just too a quick glance at them and assumed :doh:

so what's the real world decision on them, besides doesn't seem like a good idea for a carry 1911.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

+1 for all that was said thus far. Learned this the hard way myself.

That said, I've got a FLGR in my 1911's, but they are game guns. for reliability standpoint for use in CCW, I'd chuck em'.

Don't get too caught up in mechanical gizmo's. Getting enhanced controls are fine (ambi safeties, etc), get a nice set of grips, comfortable holster and sights. But the best "mod" you can get for your 1911 is trigger time.