GUN 1911 break-in

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Jan 23, 2009.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'm new to the 1911 world, so I figured I'd check to make sure there wasn't anything special I need to do to mine before taking it to the range.

I figured I'd tear it apart like I do with all my new guns to make sure everything is legit. Grease the slide rails, and oil the crap out of it per Dan Wesson's instructions. Run 50rds. through it. Clean. Run 50rd. clean. Repeat til 300-500rd total.

Sound good?

2. Stump

Stump Member

What I always do with a new gun is to totally clean & lube it when new. Then, clean & lube after each session but no disassembly. When the round count reaches 500, fully disassemble and closely examine every part using a magnifying glass, if needed. Look for any scratches on the parts. When you find one, find the burr, or whatever, on the part that caused it. Carefully remove the flaw using a fine stone. Stone as little as possible.
    From then on, enjoy it and it should require only routine cleaning. Totally disassemble very infrequently as, in the long run, you'll cause more wear by doing so.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

i'd put oil instead of grease

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Depends on the lock up and fit and finish. With loosey goosey's, grease may be better.

With your CZ Dan Wesson 1911, your probably gonna want to use oil, shits tight like virgin.

Mobile 1 with a hobby brush is all I use. My 1911's like to run wet.

5. john in jax

john in jax New Member

johnson, for me, grease seems to hang on the rails better than oil. Oil for the rest of the gun, but a dab of grease for each rail, but that's just me.

Austin congrats on the new 1911.

6. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

:bowdown: to Mobil 1.
    I use that shit on everything, whether it's my AK, my Sig, or my Remington 700.