18w3 JL.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by QS, Mar 5, 2004.

1. QS

QS Guest

I currently have 2 JL 10w0's. Thinking about ditching my babies for one big sub. What other subs between 15"-18" can compare with this JL? In terms of SQ. Not looking for extreme SPL, wont be competing.

2. JDub

JDub New Member

With a sub that size, you're going to notice a bit of lag, especially since you're switching from 10"s. I used to have a 15 solobaric (round one) and I absolutely LOVED how it sounded, but it lagged a tiny bit on fast parts. I'm running 10" CompVRs now and they sound great.

3. 04

04 Guest

That is incorrect. Only an inproper enclosure alignment will cause the "lag". The diameter of the cone is not the determining factor.

You probably had your 15 inch solobaric in an enclosure that was too small.

4. 04

04 Guest

Well if you are a big fan of JL, the 13W7 should offer quite a bit more output than your two 10w0's. It's pretty expensive though. Also the 15" Adire Brahma is another to look at.

If you are happy with the output of the 10w0's though, you could upgrade to something like a single Adire Tempest though, they are relatively inexpensive at around 150 dollars.

5. QS

QS Guest

Thanks for the replies! Im a realitive noob when it comes to car audio. But I know what I like. I want deep, rich, responsive bass. My 2 10w0's are great, but I'm looking for something with that will provide overall better SQ, give me that deeper bass hit. If price wasn't a factor, would the 13W7 be a better choice over the 18W3? Or the 15" Adire... My buddy can get me a pretty good deal on a Orion H2 15" sub.

Cliff notes, what one single sub(15"-18") will out preform my two 10w0's? If you had one choice in mind what would you opt for?

6. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

the kicker 18" solo-x

7. On_One

On_One Guest

:werd: x 3454354665675467566756

Pretty much all top SQ competitors use large woofers.

8. 04

04 Guest

Yes, the 13W7 would be better than the 18W3. The 18W3 would require a larger enclosure, and I still think that the 13W7 would have more displacement (which means it would be louder all other things equal)

The 15" Adire will probably cost a little bit less than the 13W7, and will probably be a bit louder as well. Both woofers will have outstanding sound quality though.

I personally would choose the Brahma, unless I could get the 13W7 for the exact same price, then the decision would be harder to make ;)

9. QS

QS Guest

Thanks 04. How do you feel about the Orion H2 15D4?

10. 04

04 Guest

No idea, I've never heard one or seen it in person.

11. QS

QS Guest

This amp should be sufficent in powering either the 13W7 or 15" Adire?

Soundstream Tarantula TR700/2 - 2 Ch 700 Watt Amplifier ?