17th pass on memtest86 and I have over 2.5 million errors so far!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itsdennislol, Aug 29, 2006.

1. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

2.5 MILLION... I guess this would mean my memory is shot? lol :rofl: I've been having problems with my pc for the last month or two now... I've replaced the power supply, reformatted atleast 3 times, and have lost several recording sessions with Pro Tools and I'm guessing after running memtest it's all because of bad ram...

Atleast I think I've found out for 100% sure what'll fix my computer from acting shady to me these last couple months :x:

input?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm not familiar with memtest86 but it sounds like a software memory tester. This will only indicate that you have a problem with the actual storing and retrieving of data. The memory stick may actually be fine but the motherboard might have problems...before buying more RAM, you should have the RAM sticks checked in isolation from the MB. I think CompUSA can do this for you.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

again coottie being an idiot.

It's the memory.

4. Coottie

No reason to be rude.

Like I said...I'm not familiar with that program.

Memory refresh problems can cause these types of errors. My understanding is that memory refresh is handled by the MB not the stick of RAM.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you're not familiar with a program (at all) then simply do not comment!

6. Coottie

:rofl:

Ok...mr. moderator....oh wait...you got banned by a mod so you can't be one.

:rofl: @u

You seem to be more concerned with insulting people then discusing the issue. My last post provides a resonable justification for my point.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

excuse me for HELPING people, while you spread nothing but misinformation.

:rofl: @ u for thinking that all electricity is sinusoidal and that the wave form is what kills :mamoru: You do realize that the waveform determines A/C 2-phase, 3-phase, or DC? Right? And that the only facts from the wave form that can be gathered are period (frequency) and amplitude (voltage) both of which have absolutely NO CORRELATION to the lethality of a shock!

8. Coottie

Wrong thread...and you're not helping with this issue.

Back on topic please.

My point....mem refresh....please see previous post.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and if he replaces the memory it'll work. kthxbye.

10. Coottie

And where is the memory refresh handled?? On the sick of RAM or on the MB?? If it's a refresh issue and the refresh is handled by components on the MB, simply replacing the RAM doesn't seem like it would solve his problem.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're arguing apples and oranges. DX10 HW rendering is done by the video card, whats your fucking point :mamoru:

12. Coottie

WTF? DX10...w/e

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't know what DX10 is? :mamoru:

14. Coottie

I know what DX10 is...but it's irrelevant to this thread. jeez

15. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

What the blue fucking hell is going on here? :wtcslap:

Here's the answers:

First, you cannot do a reliable memory test from within your normal OS (Windows included). Windows and your other applications use memory and it therefore cannot be tested.

Second, any errors, any % of the time are too many - they can be caused by faulty RAM, fouled up components on the motherboard, too much heat, too little (or unclean/unstable) power and any number of other things. Even hosed PCI/AGP/PCIe cards can cause errors to turn up in some cases - if you get some, remove all your cards that aren't nescessary to run the test and try again. Try swapping the remaining ones later.

Also, any app that claims to be able to tell you which stick/bank is causing the errors is generally lying. The vast majority of modern boards/chipsets interleave between the banks or address them in multiple channels in a way the application cannot see.

So test in DOS, from a bootable CD/floppy, report back. Then be prepared to start swapping stuff. If the PSU is known good (even if new, check your voltages under load at least), its more likely the RAM itself - but ideally yes, you'll want it tested in a known-good board before making the call for certain.

16. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

after 17 hours of running memtest86, and after 20+ passes, it brought back over 3 million errors. I was having problems with the machine restarting on me and heating up, I then replaced the power supply with a 500w antec power supply and now the comp is running 10-15 degrees cooler, and some of the problems I was having stopped.

I then had to replace the MB battery due to the time and date settings messing up all the time, that fixed that. Now even after reformatting I'm getting restarts for no reason, blue screens etc. but after running memtest86 I feel 100% sure that it IS THE RAM and I'm finally going to replace it once I get 100-150 bucks. I'm not going to bother with trying to figure out which of the two 512 sticks are going bad, I'll just simply replace both.

Thanks!

:run:

17. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

It's easy to figure out which one is bad...just remove one and see if your shit still fucks up.

If it doesn't, put the other one in. It takes like, five minutes.

I mean, shit, that's what I would do. I'd save myself an assload of money! You can always MemTest86 the one stick, but I wouldn't bother unless you're using generic crap from Kazakhstan.

18. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Any memory can fail, good shit, bad shit or otherwise...and testing individual sticks doesn't nescessarily narrow things down (which I already SAID) :hs:

It's something to try but it's not foolproof - they could work fine individually but due to a timing problem or SPD failure or any number of other things could make it fail when asked to work dual channel (if applicable). And since we don't have system specs, we don't know if the system wants (or needs) dual channel functionality...now do we.

Wait..I already said this :madfawk:

And are you testing from a floppy or bootable CD?

19. Schproda

Schproda New Member

New memory is often purchased bad right out the package too, so cover your ax there too.