17in Powerbook G4 won't boot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by clog, Feb 9, 2006.

1. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

I got a G4 Powerbook here that will sit @ the apple boot screen for hours on end and will never get in the OS. I called Apple tech support only to find out we didn't buy the extended Apple Care for this thing :wtc:

I cleared the PRAM and the NVRAM, still nothing. I booted with one of the CDs that came with the computer, and ran the extended hardware diagnostics, found no problems. :sad2:

The Apple technician walked me through booting into the command prompt (I think that's what it's called :hs: ), then he had me type something, and it went through a process of trying to repair the HD, but that wasn't successful. :dunno:

Anything I can do to get this thing up and running without reinstalling the OS? :hs:

2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

So you cant get into the login screen at all? Just the mac os x boot screen?

If you dont have applecare theres not a whole lot of support you can do, try the kbase at www.apple.com/support/ for some things, also theres a free online message board at discussions.apple.com. Check them out, I would be leaning to an archive and install. It wont fuck anything up if you preserve user settings.

3. clog

I will give that a shot... will an archive install work if I went from Panther to Tiger?

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

What do you have currently installed? It should even if you have panther now and you install tiger as an archive and install. Aslong as you preserve user settings you should get a folder called "Previous OS" or something containing anything that didnt get copied over. I cant remember off the top of my head if it will copy all files back to where they are. Like all your music/video/pictures and everything will be copied right back, but I dont think anything DOESNT get copied. Make sure you do all software updates or I guarantee youll have problems and end up calling apple again

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if you have access to another machine, you should boot it into firewire mode and transfer the files off of it first. when my aunts machine did this (user & other preferences folder was deleted by dumbass cousin), I copied her files to my computer, reinstalled the OS then moved them back.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Do archive and install and preserve settings and you wont have that problem. I probably wouldnt worry about copying the data unless it was highly useful and you would lose millions if its lost. But its probably not a bad idea

7. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Try booting up w/the installer CD and check to make sure you're boot drive is set to the "Macintosh HD" folder.

8. clog

It is... also, when I try to do a disk repair when booting from the original CDs, it gives me an error message saying htat thhe volume could not be unmounted. That's really odd.

Earlier, I was trying to do an archive install (going from panther to tiger), and it just stopped @ 34%. It didn't freeze or anything, it just sits @ 34%. So I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. Maybe try to do an archive install with Panther??

9. hoabegrubn

hoabegrubn Active Member

10. clog

Thanks for the links guys...

Earlier when I was trying to do archive and install, it froze up @ a certain percentage, so I rebooted. I just got the go on reinstalling the OS without worrying about backing anything up, so that's a good sign.

HOWEVER, now, each time I enter the OS X install wizard, and I get to the point where it asks which volume to install it on, there is nothing to chose from :(

I then go into the disk utility, and I see that Macintosh HD is not mounted, nor can it be mounted. I can press the Mount button, but nothing hapens. I tried to erase the volume, but that fails. How do I get this thing mounted back up? :hs:

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Do you think the HD failed?

12. clog

I don't know, the hardware diag didn't report that it did

13. Furner

Furner New Member

sounds like hardware error. got a firewire drive that you can connect and try to use as an install destination?

14. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah see if another computer can see the drive with a firewire wire

15. clog

Thanks guys... I'll just have the HD replaced, I don't have time for any more troubleshooting :o

16. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well you cant replace the HDD under warranty if it isnt truely dead, and you might be wasting money. Did you get an archive and install to work? WIth panther or tiger? (BTW which os do you currently have INSTALLED right now)

17. clog

The computer is not under warranty, we would just buy a new one and install it ourselves.

Archive and install failed, while I was trying to install Tiger (over what used to be Panther). It froze up @ 34%, so I rebooted. After that, it would just sit at that screen with the folder and question mark. When I try to do a clean isntall of Panther, it won't even boot from the install CD. When I try to install Tiger from scratch, it won't show me the volume...

So I went into Disk Utility (from the install CD), and I saw it was unmounted, tried to mount it but it couldn't. I tried to erase the volume, but it would just fail out and give me a BS error message.

So, I am fucking sick of this thing. It's getting a new HD.

18. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well yes its possible that the hdd just died and a new one will more than likely fix your problems, but make sure you keep the receipt, ive seen loigic boards fail that do similar things, though not exact, thats why I still think hdd

19. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

HDD definitely sounds messed up. :hs: good luck with it

20. clog

shit, I forgot about the logic board :sad2: we've already had like 5 powerbooks in the last months that needed the logic boards swapped :ugh: I'll have one of our techs look @ it Monday... he might determine that the logic board indeed is going bad :dunno:

thanks for the help guys.

21. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

If you call apple itll cost you 50 bucks, and guaranteed you will get it running again