17 yr old, interested in riding

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jagman, May 1, 2007.

1. jagman

jagman New Member

Hi guys,

After recent inspirations I have become very interested in pursuing training and skill in riding. I have been driving a car for two years, but I know that a motorcycle will be much more challenging.

I come seeking any advice the experts are willing to give, thanks for your time :)

2. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

start by taking the MSF class, they'll give you a good foundation. Then get some old p.o.s. bike to learn on. Make sure it doesnt have too much power. Something like a buell blast lol ... Then make sure you get a job that pays 11ty billion dollars a day cause thats what its going to cost to insure a kid on a bike.

3. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Insurance is expensive. I started riding at 17 (I'm 19 now). I took the MSF and it helped a lot. I raced BMX for 6 years tho, So I was already pretty comfy on two wheels.

Insuracnce is the biggest problem (if you get full coverage, liability is cheap). Start with a bike that doenst have lots of power, is easy to lean, and doenst have much plastic to mess up. I've seen it too many times. Somebody will go out and buy a new 600cc sportbike as their first bike then lay it down and ruin the plasitcs (which arent cheap to replace).

My first bike was an ex500. Don't let the eninge size fool you. Its faster than most cars you are likely to have driven by now. If you buddies who don't have bikes make fun of you for having a bike thats not a track terrorizer, just tell them that you have a bike and know to ride the right way and they don't. Assholes.

The bigger the motor, the more insurace is going to be. Plastics add to it to. Cheap out progressive.com to mess with insurance quotes.

Good luck and keep us updated.

4. jagman

jagman New Member

Thanks for the advice..
    I am comfortable with high speeds on four wheels (I admit to taking part in quite a few illegal racing events). I printed out the Manual and I suppose I should study it like I did for my car and get my permit. I found a 15-20 hour course that upon completion will give me my license.

A cheap bike will definately be my first one, I didn't even think about insurance but it being high will make sense.

5. austincabot

austincabot New Member

The higher the speeds, the more stable a bike is (to some extent). Where most people have problems is in conatined areas such as parking lots, making tight right hand turns at stops with out getting into the other lane, etc.

In a car, you dont have to worry about as much. If you mess up, and run off the road, the car may be hurt, but you have a better chance of survival. On a bike, there aren't as many second chances.

I'd take that course if i were you. It'll teach you how the bike handles. Like in turns, you can't just grab the brakes, the bike may slide out from under you. You have to stand the bike up first before you brake. It'll teach you stuff like that. My dad required that I take it before I could ride. (He's a rider too).

6. Jerm

Jerm I

Progressive is really expensive towards new riders, recommend calling for quotes w/ McGraw, they cost half as much.

http://www.mcgrawgroup.com/

After your first year, rates should go down quite a bit, then you can shop around more.

7. Dethfat

Dethfat New Member

ae anyone? who the hell is this polite and proper, expecialy on OT?

8. jagman

jagman New Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll definately look into it!

I just spent an hour reading the 50 or so page manual, wish me luck on my written test this week :noes:

9. dude19

dude19 Member

where did u get the manual

10. jagman

jagman New Member

online at the mfa website or whatever, just google it

11. oakie

oakie my ninja.

if you're an idiot in a car, as proven by racing illegally, you'll end up a dead idiot on a bike.

i think you need to reconsider your maturity level first, since your prior actions seem to point to an inability to be responsible enough to learn to ride before you try to race someone.

i'm not saying i ride at the speed limit all the time, but there's a time and place... but most of all, you have to keep the throttle hand in check until you're competent. i fear you'll think you're competent much sooner than when you'll actually be.

12. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Welp with brains like this you'll end up being a dead 17 yr old on a bike in no time flat

13. jagman

jagman New Member

Please don't let me mislead you, I assure you I am not a dumbass, and while like many others have done some assinine things, I don't plan on riding to die.

I took my permit test today and passed, will be attending a 20 hours safety and instruction course shortly.

14. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

cool man, just be safe and dont be a jackass and you should be ok. Dont get a GSXR1000 for your first bike just because you want to be cool, and dont ride like an ass and make bikers look bad. Just take it easy and you'll be ok.

15. jagman

jagman New Member

thanks for the support bubba :)

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

to help keep your speeds in check, you could ride something like an EX250. it's difficult to speed on the freeway on mine... (well not really, but it doesn't happen all that fast).

17. jagman

jagman New Member

Cool, I'll definately check that bike out!