17" laptops are a luxurious pain in the ass.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itwasntme, Jun 25, 2007.

1. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having all the real estate to look at. I can run multiple windows and be editing a photo while posting on a forum at the same time on a completely different half of the screen. It's great and all, but.....

What a pain it is to try and take it anywhere! The 17" Mac is the most fragile because the large screen flex's the most and is easier to break so you are always walking on eggshells trying not to break it. It fit's fine inside a Kenneth Cole smoked aluminum hard case I bought for it, but I still have to lug a briefcase around with it in there.

It's the perfect laptop.......... to leave at home.

On the flip side, I have a white 12" Ibook that goes everywhere I do. Thanks to target disk mode, It's no different from taking the 17" :big grin: The 15" was going to be my next purchase, but you just don't need a 15" if you have a 17" at home and a 12" for the road. if you only had one, I'd likely say the 15" is a compromise that works.

What size do you guy's use, and if the one you have is not the one you wish you had, what size would you prefer and why?

2. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I've got a 17" and carry it everywhere in a Crumpler messenger-style bag with an internal reinforced sleeve... I've never worried for a moment about hauling it around. It's light, it's no bigger than the legal-size folders I need to be able to fit in my bag anyway, I've never seen the problem with it.

3. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Portablility hardly matters to me. I only need to take it to starbucks or a clients house once in a while (I'm not trying to climb k2 with it), and I need as much screen as I can get for my video editing projects.

4. skolen

skolen Guest

Oh Christ....

5. notwist

notwist Active Member

15" is the sweet spot imo :o

6. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man New Member

I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 15"

7. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

:werd:

8. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

13.3 :o A friend just got a MBP and I found it to be heavier than I would have thought.

9. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

begrudgingly, yes.

10. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Same here, except the starbucks part. :mamoru:

I carry mine around quite a bit... when my boss is in town or I have to travel; or when I'm visiting a client or just going over to a friend's house. And I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have a car that handles the weight pretty well. It's only on my shoulder for short distances. If this is a problem for anyone, they should probably spend less time at starbucks and more time at the gym.

11. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I've got the 17" and I love it. I take it everywhere I go. Classes, clients houses, work... everywhere. If you were to compare the 17" MBP to any PC of equal size, there's a 95% chance the MBP will be much lighter than the rest.

12. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Damn, what's wrong with starbucks? People like to meet there, it can be nice to work outside my apartment once in a while.

13. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:bowrofl:

14. unrealdigital

unrealdigital OT Supporter

Although I have no direct experience with a MBP, I would say 14" is the true sweet spot.
    Of course it also depends on the user.

15. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

I really dont see why anyone would CARRY a 17" laptop. I mean I can understand why they exists...its suppose to be a desktop replacement, perfect for those in college that dont carry it around, but great when you need to move back.

IMO 12" where its at. Its really too bad Apple dropped the 12" MBP line...because I bet that would be one sweet laptop. But i have to settle for the 13" macbook.

Check out this Dell 20" monster laptop:

[​IMG]

:bowrofl:

16. ryckmonster

ryckmonster New Member

OK here's is a brief look at the proper set up... (items starred ** are optional)

Home studio: 2 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro, dual Cinema display
    Den: Apple TV
    Corner of Den: 24" iMac core 2
    Study: 17" Macbook Pro core 2
    Backpack: 13.3 Macbook core 2
    Pocket: iPhone
    Attic: Windows PC**

i can dream, can't i?

17. ryckmonster

ryckmonster New Member

but for now... white 13.3" macbook core 2 duo

recently i've started using a virtual desktop manager (similar to spaces), it is a godsend

18. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

saw a dude in the airport with a 17" mbp, he seemed to struggle to pull it out of the case and put it on his lap...wuss

but seriously, 13.3 macbook is where it's at, but i almost prefer something smaller

19. phr34k

phr34k New Member

13.3 macbook in a booq mamba s.... my buddies call the bag a murse(man purse) but fuck it.... it does the job well

20. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

The 17" doesn't suck because of weight, it sucks because you have to pick up up two handed. It's awkwardly large. If you try and pick it up like this....

[​IMG]

You'll crack the screen and bend the case.

However you can do that all day long with a 12".

[​IMG]

If you have a coke in your hands, you have to set the damn thing down and pick up the 17", bravely tuck it under your arm, or set it in a carrier - then get your coke.

If you have a 12" you just grab the sucker like a book and go.

21. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

:werd: Plus, you can connect your laptop to an external monitor at home.

22. Kinie

Kinie MY DRILL IS A DRILL TO CREATE THE HEAVENS!

As much as I hate to admit it, I do think 15" is the best size for a laptop. I say that because I love my monitor for my other laptop (it's 12") because I can easily see everything on it even though things can get a little crowded on it (the resolution only goes up to 1024 x 768).

I'm having to use a 15" laptop for work, and as much as I dislike the size of it there really is a lot of room to leave a lot of windows open on it without cluttering it up. And since I'm going to be working in Photoshop a lot of the time, the more space you have the better.

And WTF at the 20" Dell laptop. It looks like you could kill a small dog with it just by dropping it on the dog.

But yeah, if you're not doing a heck of a lot on your laptop (just papers, music and stuff) then 12" is the sweet spot. But if you're going to do any sort of artistic work on it then you definitely need to get a 15".

23. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I :love: my 13.3" macbook...perfect size for a mobile computer. any big stuff i do at home on my 19" widescreen PC....but I'm not a graphic arts designer either lol

24. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

i have a 14" ibook that goes everywhere with me. perfect size, so when i upgrade i'm getting the 15" MBP

25. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

15in mbp is the perfect laptop, size, weight, specs. macbooks are :greddy:, I never liked them. My sister has one and I just could never see myself using that as my sole computer, and that's what I use my mbp as.