17/18/19 inch LCD recommendation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Aug 30, 2003.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

aiming to buy a 17/18/19 inch LCD soon. any recommendations? im liking the Samsung 19 inches... what do u think?

price IS important

thanks guys!

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The Samsungs also look really good to me, but I haven't used any at length, I'm just going by what I've played with at Best Buy ;)

3. MP

MP New Member

can't go wrong with NEC LCD's

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

5. Doobian

Doobian Guest

6. futz

futz Guest

go with the 19"

7. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

19" NEC LCD? how much do you guys think I should pay for 19" NEC/Samsung/Viewsonic? just making sure i wont get ripped off...

oh, between NEC/Samsung/Viewsonic, which one would you choose?

8. Davan

Davan Guest

I like the samsung 172 and 192 series.

But really, you should tell us what your requirements are. That would influence your decision. Do you need a fast enough refresh to play games? Several LCD's aren't quick enough for gaming, and you get ghosting. Also, how much would dead pixels bother you? Because some companies won't warranty your LCD unless you have over a certain number of dead pixels. And what is your price range?

9. Davan

Davan Guest

oops. double post.

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok ok

im not much of a gamer. but i DO do web designs. price range, if possible, should be around 500-600 (or lower of course :) )

im not quite sure what dead pixels are...

funny thing is, i cant find samsung's 19x series at samsung.com, unless im looking in the wrong place? :dunno:

11. Davan

Davan Guest

Must be there somewhere. I was at Best Buy yesterday, checking out both the 172N and the 192N. $550 and $750, respectively. Canadian prices.

12. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yea i saw 191 and 192 at best buy also.

here's the LCD product page at samsung

btw, what is the diff between TFT and LCD? something about passive/active matrix? :dunno:

13. Davan

Davan Guest

active matrix is going to have a faster response than passive. my best guess is active is better for gaming and such.

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok well im really liking the samsung so ill probably go with that? any places/sites with good deals i should check out?

15. Davan

Davan Guest

Like I said, Best Buy had the best prices that I've seen.... locally anyways.

16. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok sweet :bigthumb: thx for ur opinions

what do you think of pricewatch.com and newegg.com ?

17. Penguin Man

We don't get NewEgg up here in Canada, but they're supposed to be pretty awesome. Best Buy is pretty good too. In Canada it's all about canadacomputers.com and ncix.com.

18. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

I just bought a 17 from CC. NexGen LiquidVision...or something. I don't trust the spec sheet, so I might return it.

19. Davan

Davan Guest

Check out the return policies of the places you are considering buy it from... sometimes a local store is more convenient if you ever have to make a return for some reason.

20. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

what's CC? :dunno:

does digital/analog make much of a difference in quality?

21. Penguin Man

CircuitCity probably.

22. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

I'm running an NEC 1760v. Great 17" in my opinion. Colors are good, has a typical response time of 16ms, so it's good for gaming, fast-paced movies, etc. (although, I'm not sure how much you care about those aspects), and it's not too expensive ($399 from Newegg, which is where i got mine). There's also a version of it that has DVI, but it costs about $50 more plus the cost of a DVI cable. That version is the 1760nx.

23. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

so the 1760v is analog? hmm didnt know the digital needs special cable.

about them aspects, i care more about the physical size of the monitor (the slimness of it, i like the 1-inch thick Samsungs), and the colors (prolly the dot-pitch quality in this case)

24. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

Ok, well, note that all LCD monitors that are 17, 18, and 19 inches have a native (and maximum) resolution of 1280x1024. This is the number of pixels composing the LCD. Since the same number of pixels are being put on larger screens (here I'm referring to the 17 inch versus the 18 inch versus the 19 inch), the dot pitch will become larger as the screen size becomes larger.
    Reading more of the thread, however, I noticed that you have pretty much decided on a Samsung. That's cool. They do make some very nice LCDs that have gotten excellent reviews. As for your question reguarding pricewatch.com and newegg.com, those are the two I almost always use. Pricewatch just to see what else is out there, but even if it's a bit more I'll usually go through Newegg since they're probably the best computer parts store around. Great prices, fast service/shipping, FANTASTIC customer service.

25. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

well its not a totally safe bet that im gonna go with the Samsung. im really attracted to their looks (mainly the 1-inch thickness). that plus ive had a Samsung monitor before and i like it. nevertheless i also like NECs (by what reviews ive read and the opinions posted here) and has recently gotten to know about Proview from tomshardware.com (dunno about that one yet tho, it DOES look sleek). but if u know of a product that u think is better, and more bang for the buck, by all means suggest away :cool:

thx very much for all help btw :wiggle: