16 and looking for a truck.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Emery, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Emery

Emery New Member

Heyy everyone, name's Chris and I've been on the hunt for a truck.

I'm looking for a small sized that I'll be able to take on small stuff like dirt roads and paths.

I've been looking at Ford Rangers, Chevy S10 pickups, and some Frontiers. Any other suggestions?

I currently work and make only around 350$ every two weeks. I DO have an older car, a 2000 Civic LX that my family is going to try and sell for around 4 grand. I know it's probally a smart idea to just take that car, but I'm really set on a truck. I'll be able to save money for the next half-year to year or so before purchasing the truck.

So what I'm ultimately asking, what would you do in my situation? What truck should I look for? How much should I look forward to spending (Around 6,000$ seems right for some nice S10's out here in SoCalifornia).

I'm kinda looking more to a 4 cylinder, and I'm dont have too much need for 4x4 I don't think.

Some mods I do kinda want to do would just be 3 inch or so body lift, bigger tires, and shocks.

Thanks for any advice/help:wavey: in advance,
    Chris

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Dont get a 3" body lift, thats too tall for a body lift. If you want body lift keep it around 1" or so, and do the rest on suspension.

I'd look at Toyota Tacomas as well. Also 6k seems high for S10's depending on the year you're looking at. I bought a 95 SS (V6, auto, etc) in 2000 for 8k and sold it in 2004 for 5k.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Check out the Taco's too, I would advise against Rangers, my company has several of them among other vehicles and the rangers are the ones in the shop most(these are 98-03)

4. Wckd2

Wckd2 OT Supporter

Tacoma's all the way.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

tacomas are too expensive, imo.

s10's are nice trucks, and cheap.

6. IslanderOffRoad

S10's are nice, and I enjoyed mine alot, but I had quite a few GM Fuck-ups with that truck.

Injector assembly failed, GM did a recall on some but not all trucks using that injector. Mine wasn't one of them. $800

Dexcrap Coolant caused the radiator to rust out, leaked coolant into trans cooler, destroyed transmission $2400

Went through a couple alternators

It was a fun truck, but a Tacoma is a well built truck, and IMO worth that extra money.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

meh, I've owned a tacoma (2004 double cab trd off-road prerunner v6) and two chevy s10's (1999 4-door blazer LS 4x4 v6, 1998 4-door jimmy sls 4x4 v6) And the tacoma has been in the shop more than either of the gm's.

8. IslanderOffRoad

Your experience is rare

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not rly. www.customtacos.com. Plenty of people with the same problems I had. www.s10forum.com. Plenty of people with the same success as me.

Bottom line, fewer problems with the s10's than the tacoma. And cheaper to repair the gm's over the toyota, too.

Oh, and I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 V8... Not the most reliable vehicle ever. My opinion of Toyota is good vehicles, but Toyota is running on their reputation... They've slipped in actual reliability.

10. Emery

Emery New Member

I really like the look of lifted S10's but I'll definately check out Tacomas a little more.

P.s., I like the look of trucks when their tires kinda stick out. How is this done? Just bigger tires or what? Don't really know much about cars/trucks in general. Any help and anymore advice would be great.
    Thanks guys.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

both the tacoma and s10 4x4's use a high-offset wheel, like would be used on a fwd vehicle. A standard/mid-rwd offset wheel will cause the tire to stick out a bit.

As an example, the stock s10 4x4 uses a 15x7" wheel with 6" back spacing... Switch to a standard 15x8" with 4.5" backspacing and the tire will extend 2.5" further out than with the stock wheel... That effectively widens the track by 5" overall, and can lead to a more stable vehicle offroad.

12. IslanderOffRoad

I've been to S10Forum.. not a fan of the site. I'm still active on S-Series forum, and used to be a mod on .org.

If you ask me, S10 owners simply put up with the bullshit and don't complain. They bought a chevy, and they deal with chevy problems.

Toyota owners expect more. Hence more whining on the internet about it.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, one s10 I kept for 80k miles, and the other I still have with 153k on the odo... They both rattle less than my 2004 Tacoma did, and I have put the s10's through WAAAY more stress.

you can argue all you want about OTHER owners... But I am one of the most demanding vehicles owners that you'll find. The toyota dealership HATES me because I take things seriously. AC didn't get cold enough. Fucking took them forever to finally admit that their AC sucks. The Chevy service dept all know me by name and are the coolest bunch. Half of the problem with yota is the "sweeter-than-thou" attitude their people have. I swear their service writers are fucking pricks.

Bottom line, my next truck probably won't be a Toyota... Especially when I can get more features, more comfort, more power, better reliability -- all for less money. They've lost me as a customer as soon as they stopped caring about their current/future customers, and only about riding out their reputation to be the biggest. Fuck the biggest... Be the best. Toyota sold out. And I'm moving up.

14. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

So if they have been riding on their reputation and have got less reliable when did this transition occur so Emery can look into trucks prior to that?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would say 1995 when they released the Tacoma. So a pre-95 truck is okay... But then again, he can get a much nicer, newer, lower-mileage s10 for the same money as a pre-95 will fetch.

16. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

17. Emery

Emery New Member

Alright thanks everyone for all the info, still welcome for more advice and anything you cann tell mea bout beginning mods.

What about shocks? What do I need to install them? Can I just buy them and have someone install them?

I'm thinking I'm gonna get a nice Chevy S10 for as cheap as I can. When I find one, I'll post the info on it and let you guys evaluate it.

Thanks again guys.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

shocks are easy to replace on the s10, front and rear. The rear of the tacoma is easy to replace. All about 15 minutes. The front on the tacoma takes longer, but I can do it in about 45 minutes. You need a spring compressor because it's a coilover.

19. Emery

Emery New Member

How much for everything? Plus an install by a shop?

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

decent shocks are around $35 each. Shop would prolly charge $40 to install them all on an s10 and about $100 for the fronts on a tacoma, and $30 for the rears on a tacoma.

But why would you pay someone to do it? This has got to be just as easy as changing your own oil! All you need is a socket set!

21. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

Yeah it's very easy if you've ever used tools.

My opinion on your truck is that you should not lift it if you aren't going to have 4-wheel drive. That just doesn't make any sense. You need 4x4 if you are going to be going offroad too, so lifting it without 4x4 would be doing it for looks which is a huge waste of money IMO. Keep in mind that it will hurt your gas mileage, another reason it's not worth it if you aren't going to use it.

As for the actual truck, out of the ones you mentioned the Frontier is the best if you need a truck that you are certain will be reliable. We had a 1998 v6 Frontier that was outstanding. If I were you, though, I would most likely get a ranger because for $6,000 you can get a fairly new truck because Rangers have terrible resale value (I guess...) so it's a lot more bang for your buck. That would make me want one and I would just hope it would be reliable :) S-10 seems to be in the middle... medium priced and not as reliable as a Nissan.

22. IslanderOffRoad

That all depends. Here in So-Cal there's alot of wheeling you can do without 4wd... playing in the dunes for example. Alot of off road racers run 2wd for weight savings as well.

23. Emery

Emery New Member

Yeahh I did wanna mess around at like maybe Pismo^. Is that possible with 2wd? And SOMETIME I wanna hit Glamis, definately not to take my truck out too far, but maybe mess around and ride the harder sand would be fun. Is that possible with 2wd?

If anything, how much more will an older 4wd truck cost? That's my biggest concern.

24. IslanderOffRoad

Pismo and Glamis are very possible with 2wd... alot of guys I know run 2wd at Glamis... and the 4x4 guys dont even use 4wd the whole time.

If you want to run 2wd a locker is a must, and you're gonna want to re-gear once you put bigger tires on. The idea is to float on the sand so you don't get stuck, and that means keeping your speed up... a good excuse for some performance mods.

see you at glamis.

25. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

toyota.