$1500 for a laptop, point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigman7903, Jun 11, 2006.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

ok, my grandmother is giving me $1500 for a laptop (HS grad present) and i dont want to waste it, and it needs to last me, hopefully through the end of college (4-5 years) now i realize that in the computer world thats quite a stretch, but thats what i'm looking for. i dont play games but i do do alot of music and graphic art so a high quality screen would be nice. i was looking at lenovo, acer, and maybe toshiba, but i dont really all that much about notebooks. escentially a desktop replacement.

i was looking at this
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&product_code=338719&Pn=Aspire_9402WSMi_Notebook
    or maybe this
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&product_code=337624&Pn=Pavilion_dv5140us_Notebook

plus, it needs to come from a physical store, my parents insist that it comes from a national chain so that if it breaks i can drop it off at the store and have it fixed and returned quicker. any help would be appreciated, thanks

EDIT: Would it be beneficial to wait for Windows Vista to come out (i dont know when that is though)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, you are definitely on the WRONG path.

1) National chain == bad idea.
    1a) They charge more
    1b) You get less
    1c) Quality is usually poor
    1d) Service is usually off-site, where they send it out
    1da) When it is onsite its by dumb techs. CompUSA and Best Buy use only dumb techs.
    1db) When they do work on it, it's usually at your expense.
    1dba) They don't fix "software" issues under warranty, which is what 99.9% of issues are.
    1e) They sucker you into a "warranty"
    1ea) More money
    1eb) You'll bring it back a dozen times, and fight tooth and nail, then they swap you out for another laptop (possibly refurb)

Don't bother with HP or Acer. Both are among the worst. Any good laptop isn't going to be purchased in a shop around the corner. Nothing at CompUSA is going to last 4 years. What school are you going to? Purchase a Lenovo notebook through your school. You get a student discount, and they have at-school techs to fix things for you. Plus Lenovo is one of only two PC brands I would consider for notebooks. If you're going to school, and reliability is the name of the game, Lenovo is the only PC I'd suggest.

I also prefer Asus... But given your gparents ignorant requirements, Lenovo will be the way to go. They are a VERY well known brand, and they have the service you need. Above and beyond anything CompUSA can do for you.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Windows Vista is due out in January for non-corporate use.

But it is Microsoft so nobody really fucking has a goddamn clue.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6034002/wo/Wv1iZHy777kx2IeSZ1B1YoZtEu8/2.?p=0

Macbook 13" 2GHZ Core Duo with 100GB HD and 1GB RAM: $1550

You can try one when you go to CompUSA, they have them there. The MacBook is much faster than the other two notebooks you are looking at. It will also last you four years, because it will not break. It will seem slow the last couple years. If it does break and is out of warranty after a year, repairs are cheap and can be done at any Apple Store, CompUSA, MicroCenter, Fry's, etc. For your budget you only get 1GB of ram, but thats enough for now. You can buy more for $100 later. You also won't have to worry about spyware crippling your computer on a regular basis.

Since you do graphics and music... a Mac is the clear choice. Since you can't save big by going with a mail order shop, its also the obvious choice. And you can still run Windows Vista on it... whenever it comes out. It may be well over a year before it does. Don't hold your breath.

If you insist on getting a PC, then order a Lenovo. Don't buy a brand name at a store.

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

ok, what would be some good internet buys, and what would i do if it dies on me if i get it through the internet? what brands would you suggest if i would go the internet route, i personally dont mind but i would have convince the person/people who would be buying it for me to buy off the internet.

apple would be excellent but my only complaint would be software/hardware problems (problems isnt the right word but i cannot think of the right one) due to OSX

I'm attending Washington and Jefferson College, just south of Pittsburgh

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can run windows on macs now, for when software problems arise. If you convince them that the internet is okay, then your options really open up.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

And the specs you described above is $1700 and only gets 90 days of support before you have to start paying. You're up to $2000 if you want a real service warranty. Well above his budget.

There are PC options out there that will do him better for the and be just as reliable. Not everyone sackrides Mac like you.

I remember a thread about a year ago where you were trying to convince someone to buy an apple mini for gaming.. I mean seriously, get off it.

8. samm

samm Next in Line

the original thread starter stated:

since he explicitly stated 'i do not play games', I'll agree with Peyomp. A Macbook will be a fine choice for him. He can purchase it from his local Apple store and return it there for service if need be. After the 1 year warranty expires, he can purchase Apple Care to extend it another 3 years.

9. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Get a Dell... you can get awesome specs for that money, with a 3 year warranty plan.

10. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

i guess i should clarify, i have music going at all times, and i like to tinker with photoshop and other stuff such as illustrator, Autocad, solidworks etc. i do not play games (as of right now, ive never gotten into them, i dont really even play ps2 or anything, it might change in college) i dont really need anything fancy such as flashy lights, cool sponsors, or liquid cooling, i just need a nice daily use laptop.

ive never used apple so i'm not really sure what to think of them, other than what i hear, which is excellent except for compatability issues

11. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

i know too many people that have way too much trouble with them, the only things that i hear good about them is if you spend 2k+ on them

12. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

does anyone know what type of discount i would get for being a college student (i'm already enrolled at the local community college for PSEO) whether it be apple or somewhere else

13. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:rofl: get your crapple ass out of there, stop poisoning threads with your overpriced shit boxes

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

There are no compatibility issues anymore, since Macs can now run Windows. There haven't been any meaningful compatibility issues in years, since for almost as long as I can remember, Macs have been able to open any file created on Windows and save files for Windows consumption.

I agree with Peyomp, go for a MacBook. Keep in mind that Apple offers discounts to College students, so you can probably get the MacBook for cheaper than the listed price (the MacBook Peyomp recommends goes for $1627 Canadian on student price, down from the $1749 Canadian regular price).

15. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

so what, i'm going to buy a mac and reload it to windows? WTF

16. Penguin Man

A better idea would be to buy the Mac, and if at some point you realize you need Windows for something (which may or may not happen), get Parallels and run Windows under that (or dual-boot, but Parallels is more convenient and safer IMO).

17. samm

samm Next in Line

You get a 10% discount at the Apple store for being a student.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The specs I quoted at $1549. Try again. And the hardware warranty lasts a year.

You are such a zero.

19. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

damn, not quite enough, i was hoping to knock the macbook pro down to 1600

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Look, I just went through the site AGAIN, and its $1549 US. For a white one. Don't start with a black one, pick the middle configuration and then add 1GB RAM and 100 Gig HD. Dude is from Cleveland. Who gives a shit about Canuck Funny Money?

With a 10% student discount thats $1394 US. And you get a free iPod Nano with it. Wow, what a deal for someone who is very into art and music. Someone show me another notebook with a 2.0 GHz Core Duo that can satisfy his needs as well?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

never gonna happen. If you want an apple, get the macbook in your price range.

Also, go to your schools bookstore. They probably have an on-campus apple store. Many of the better universities have on-campus Lenovo store's, as well.

If you want a good internet-brand, then ASUS is the way to go.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

23. Penguin Man

I wasn't doubting your prices, just pointing out that there was a student deal. I didn't know that it's a flat 10% off in the US (it may be that here, but I'm not sure - I've always just checked the prices on the Apple Education Store). I only quoted prices to try and give him an idea of what the discount would be like.

Yeah, I agree completely, the MacBook is a great choice. It's one of a very few laptops I'd consider for myself as well.

24. JaJae

JaJae New Member

25. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member