14awg or 16awg wires for home speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Apr 13, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

My friend and I are splitting up a 100' roll of either but im not sure if 16awg is big enough. His HTiB is a Sony system with tiny cube speakers but I have the Adire KIT51's. For crossover construction, they gave me 14awg to use and im wondering if I can use a 16awg to run them to the receiver. Speakers are 4ohms.

His runs will be between 20-30 feet per cable (back of the room to front corners).

KnuKoncepts only has 12awg and 16awg for the cheaper blue ones. Is this better than Sound King from PE?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

16awg should be alright. It depends how much power is being put through them and the length of the runs. You said your friends will be 30 feet, what about yours?

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Mine will be under 5 feet (near the receiver).

4. 04

04 Guest

16awg would be more than enough then. You could probably use even 22awg or higher for that short of a distance :o

5. johnson

johnson New Member

16awg for his runs too? His speakers are TINY. His center channel is half the size of one of my enclosures (comparable to the BR-1's). I got everything hooked up and crossovers built but Adire sent me smaller terminal cups than what was in the plans. The cutout is 3" but when I got the cups, they were 2.75".

6. 04

04 Guest

If his speakers are around 8 ohms nominal impedence, then 16awg wire should be fine for his too :)