13 days to MWSF, should I buy an MBP? :noes:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IcyHot4Life, Dec 27, 2006.

1. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

So here's the deal, got a family friend that works apple retail and offered me one of her "friends and family" discounts on a mbp (she has to use them by the year's end). I want to pull the trigger but I'm worried about getting shafted in about two weeks.

Basically the idea is to buy in the next couple of days, so I will be within the 14-day return period for a new machine if some crazy shit comes out / is announced at the expo. Has anyone else been in this situation before? Anyone know how returns post-MW tend to work out? I checked the online store's return policy and it says 14 days for purchases after Dec 24 so I should be okay, but I wondered what the Mac Shack thinks before I throw down $2k :noes: :run: :embd:

go go go

2. Lat

Lat New Member

I really doubt new processors will be out for the MBP. The new upgrade will be for the mini. Just get it, and be happy :)

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:blue: that's certainly what I'm hoping... I'll most likely buy it, but I'll be keeping it wrapped up in the box for almost two weeks, just in case there's a speed bump or something (jesus christ that will be hard!). The other thing is, there have been some rumors about a subnotebook mbp and I may want to leave that option open if possible... I love the size of the MB but I don't want to get stuck with integrated graphics, no FW800, no expansion slot, etc.

4. Lat

Lat New Member

I seriously doubt that's going to happen, but it's up to you. I held out for the longest time for my Macbook, and when i did order it, it was the 1st day the C2D were out for my machine :o

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

certain stuff :mamoru: just read the other thread

return policy stated that the restocking fee only applies if the machine is opened... waiting two weeks won't exactly be easy but it's probably not a terrible idea since I'll still be in the window :dunno:

6. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I doubt they will upgrade the mbp's anytime in the near future.

7. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I was in this situation with the expo in september last year and the student promo ending...

I did the same thing, got it within the 14 day return policy, and waited to see if anything was annoucened at the expo, nothing was, so i just kept my stuff!

the important thing is that you can't open it, the boxes or anything, or else there is a 10 or 15 percent restocking fee... so i just put it away in my closet and waited... =)

8. Euclid

Euclid New Member

If you custom-order it and they are too backed up to get your machine before a speed bump, you get the speed bump (or the option to pay the difference if the price goes up). At least, this has happened in the past.

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

this is bad... I went to the local apple store today and now I'm thinking about a black macbook again :noes: I can't believe that the magnetic latch hasn't made its way to the mbp yet, it's 1000x better than physical hooks :hs: it also gives you hdd access which the mbp doesn't :wtf: I also prefer the macbook form factor but I want all the expandability and stuff of the mbp.... fuck this is hard

help plz :o

10. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

Just buy it, problem solved

get a macbook with more ram etc. if you are not a gamer then it'll be plenty
    I love mine :love:

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

if the mb had dedicated graphics, I would've already bought it, true shit.. but it doesn't, so I'm stuck.

god apple why do you make this so hard, I'm TRYING to GIVE you MONEY :mad:

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

so does robwormwald still post in here? it would be nice to knwo if the friends and family discount had a different return policy than normal customers before I do this :noes:

13. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

12" mbp ftw! :run:

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

that's what I want too :hs:

15. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

They may be releasing a 12-13" MBP, maybe you would be more happy with that, being comporable in side to the MB? :dunno:

16. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

all apple products will be migrated from intel processors to powerpc processors in the near future :noes:

dont buy anything yet.

17. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

:werd: mb would be mean with decent graphix.

18. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

You can't return/exchange employee purchases EVER.

19. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

20. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:eek4: proof plz? my guy is calling me back in like half an hour

edit: you're wrong, dude: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/bepppolicies.html

Corporate Employee Purchase Program (EPP) Terms and Conditions

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
    If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. For products purchased between October 31, 2006 - December 24, 2006, you may request an RMA by January 8, 2007. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

21. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

What's the discount? I have a buddy that works for a Mac Store...

22. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

"Corporate Employee Purchase Program" is different the the internal employee program.

23. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:dunno: I double-checked when I was on the phone and I was told that since it's being ordered through a special part of the online store, that the same return policy applies, and this was from an employee so I'll take their word for it.

Anyway I put the order in for an mbp just in the last hour :noes: supposed to arrive here by the 8th :o

24. ady

ady New Member

The next real revision to the notebook lines will come in late april/may when the new Intel notebook platform comes out. There may be a minor cosmetic revision, but unlikely. Apple are working on Intel's timeframe now. Though unless you really need it (sounds like you don't) buying anything just before macworld isn't the best idea. Who knows what Apple have in store.

25. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

the reason I "need" to buy now is because the employee discount I'm being hooked up with is going to roll over on Jan 1. Otherwise I would've waited until after MWSF. But by buying within 14 days and not opening it, I should have some insurance that way. :hs: