12inch Powebook and iBook difference?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Jan 12, 2006.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Looking at the prices and specs, is there any reason to pay more for a 12inch power book?
    I just relized I could get a 14inch iBook, with the same specs as a 12inch PB (but with a 1.42 or soemthing GHz over a 1.5) for 50 bucks less.

Any reason to go PB, besides that it looks cooler?

2. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I went with the PB because it has DVI out, faster HD, superdrive, and is slightly smaller and lighter. Frankly, the iBook is a much better value, but one you've used a PB, an iBook feels like a toy.

Do you need to buy right away? If you can hold off for a while do so because Apple's entire laptop lineup is being revamped. 13" widescreen is likely to replace the 12" models.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

no, but I'd like to do it soon, and i'm buying refurbished so I'd have to wait an addition month or two to get some returns.

I tihnk i'm going with an iBook, I've had an iBook (older one though, G3, dual USB not clamshell), and I hated using my friend's powerbook, the keypad and trackpad are weird and the buttons on the PB dont feel right (mouse buttons)

Sheesh, I still need to talk to my dad. Hes outa town, said we'd talk this weekened about it, if he says no to 1200, I'll ask him for a budget and go from there.

4. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

i got a 12" iBook and put in the 1gb of ram. i already had an external dvd burner as well as an external hd, and you can always hack screen spanning, so it worked really well for me.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the ibooks have come a long way but I still prefer the powerbook like. feels faster in every respect.

400mhz G3 powerbook (512mb ram) > 750mhz G3 ibook (512mb ram) in almost every test I put them through.

6. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

I told my mom I wanted to get the Macbook instead of the ibook. I told her it would be 1800 dollars with student discount and she laughed at me.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

its beacuse she does not love you

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

oww, i bet they will have some sweet deals on closeouts and refurb ibooks when the intel ibooks come out!

9. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

Lol shutup. It's just because she's poor.