12" vs 15" PB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Braddlac, Apr 14, 2005.

?

Which one, for my needs?

1. 12

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. 15

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

which should i get? the differnce in price isnt an issue. im going to use it as my only computer in college next year, my dad is concerned the the 15 is too big and wont fit well on the little desks in lecture halls. but i think the 12 is too small and im not a fan of the smaller res. i like the lighted keyboard on the 15". for my use, email, typing papers, internet and ocassionally editing video (basic college student things) which should get?

2. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

The 12" screen isnt as nice eaither. Its not wide, and its dimmer than the 15 and 17. The small form factor sure is nice on the 12, but the 15 has the better firewire too. And its actually thinner.

3. Sniper FX

Sniper FX Pumpin' and Humpin

Get the 15'' or u will regret it. Coming from my roomate who owns a 12''.
    My Roomate loves the portablilty, convienence and size of the unit,
    But since he also uses it as his desktop at home, he kicks himself for not getting the 15''.
    I always tell people to go to an Apple store or CompUSA and play around with them before finalizing your decision. =)

4. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

What sniper said :)

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

15" with the 128 MB video card and Super Drive.

the 15" isn't any bigger than an open text book on your desk. In fact, it's smaller than most open textbooks.

6. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

I carry my 12" iBook to school every day, and definitely wouldn't want to haul anything larger than it.

I also use it as my desktop computer at home, and don't find the 12" screen to be much of a bother at all.

For a laptop that you are actually going to carry around with you, smaller is definitely better.

7. ProFX

ProFX New Member

15 inch is not too big. 17 would be pushing it.

If you can fit a standard A4 folder (a little bigger than A4 paper) on your desk, 15inch will be fine.

My buddy has a 12incher and while it is fine for messing around, the screen is just too small for real work.

8. hootpie

hootpie New Member

If it is your only computer DO NOT, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get the 12". I got the 12" and quickly realized the 15" was the best choice to make. I ended up getting the 15" and couldn't be happier. As for it being too big for the lecture hall desks, who cares, just use it on your lap.

9. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

The 12" is cool looking, but I wouldnt' want to use it as my only computer. I love my 15" and find that it is extremely portable.

10. Sin.dc2r

Sin.dc2r New Member

I was in the same position as you before this quarter started. I decided on the 15" after messing around with a friends 12" for a week. Im definitely glad I got the 15". Widescreen and much brighter than the 12". I put it in a Booq Vyper sleeve and slip it into my backpack......only downside is the battery life which lasts a little less than the 12". Definitely go to the apple store or Compusa to do a side-by-side. =) good luck.

-Mike

11. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

i goto the mac store like once a week and fuck around with both and my friend has the 12 incher. im kinda concerned about heat with the 15 inch one. cause if the feet arent on the table (on a small lecture hall desk) there isnt any airflow under the bottom of the computer. also, i will have a 19inch lcd (not widescreen) when im in school

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  12. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

remember, heat rises. airflow underneath it isn't going to do much.

the vents in the back are the key cooling component on the powerbooks, unlike a lot of pc laptops that have vents on the bottom which actually do get blocked frequently if you just set the computer on your lap, the floor, bed, etc. (anything not perfectly flat and hard to keep it raised up enough to let air out of the openings). i bought a compaq laptop last summer and didn't even think to look for vents on the bottom (since common sense tells me that placing them there is an awful idea). sure enough, there were two vents with fans on the bottom of the laptop. how did i find out? the first time i was surfing in bed when i couldn't sleep and had it sitting on my lap on top of the blanket. after about 15 minutes, the thing was scorching and the computer slowed to a crawl. i lifted it up and flipped it over and found the two vents disguised in the ridged texture of the bottom of the case. :greddy:

13. hootpie

hootpie New Member

The 12" gets quite warm even with proper cooling. Right now, I'm sitting with my 15" PB on my lap and it's slightly warm. It's actually nice because it's kind of cold in my room and it's keeping my legs warm :).

The warmth the PB gives off is no big deal. You simply keep the front left/right vents as well as the back vent uncovered and it's no big deal. As a side note, they are positioned so when the laptop is on your lap, they are not covered.

14. t0tz

t0tz New Member

go 15. Thats what i did.

15. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

12" battery life >*

16. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

extra battery > you
    :)

17. rpark

rpark New Member

I bought the 15" PB and boy did i wish I had bought the 12"

Everytime I see my sister 12" PB sat next to my 15", I get so jealous.

BTW, If you're concerned with the PB not fitting in the lecture desks, don't be because 1/2 the time you'll type with it on your lap. Its just more comfortable that way.

18. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

why do you like the 12 better, just size?

19. rpark

rpark New Member

Yhup, most of the time when im coding or doing anything that requires a lot of monitor space i usually sleep my laptop and hook it up to another monitor.