12" Kicker vs. 2-10" MTX 8000

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arnderson, May 19, 2004.

1. arnderson

arnderson New Member

My friend recently hooked another friends two 12" MTX 8000 to his Profile California Series amp (900watts x 1, 350 x 2) and it was louder than his 12" L7 square Kicker. He now wants to put two 10" MTX 8000 in his truck now.

I was wonder what some people could tell me who have put both kinds in their vehicles. I am asking because i have heard many people say that kicker subs can blow most other subs away. I was also wondering if it there could be a way to tune the amp to make it louder... :confused:

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, usually 2 woofers is going to be louder than 1, assuming they are the same size. The Kicker is actually larger than a normal 12" woofer though. As for Kicker blowing most other subwoofers away, that's probably an overstatement, although it would really help to know what you are qualifing that remark on.

As for tuning the amplifier to make it louder, you can really only turn the gain up.

3. arnderson

arnderson New Member

So in your opinion would you say that two 10" MTX 8000 would pound harder than one 12" kicker L7 or not?

Also what do you mean by "turn the gain up"...?

4. 04

04 Guest

It depends on a host of things. The car it's in, the box being used, the amplifier, etc...

Taking nothing other than the two woofers into consideration, i'd say that the MTX's would win, but I would guess that it would be pretty close.

Which setup would be cheaper?

The "gain" is basically a volume knob. You cant really "tune" an amplifier. Although, you will need to set the lowpass filter, but that wont be an issue until you get the whole setup done and working.

5. On_One

On_One Guest

That all depnds on a few fatctors such as power available, enclosure type, and enclosure size.

I can say without hesistaion that a single 12" L7 in 2.5-3.25 ^ft enclosure tuned between 30-45hz enclosure would rape two sealed 8000's in the spl. Now if your comparing 2 sealled 8000's to a single sealed l7 the 8000's will have the edge.

Honestly both drivers sound like complete ass IMHO.