12 core Mac Pros coming soon

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DouggieJ, Oct 15, 2009.

1. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Hardmac reports that an early 2010 revision to Apple's Mac Pro may see the inclusion of Intel's forthcoming six-core "Gulftown" processor as a temporary exclusive prior to the full mass release of the processor in the second quarter of 2010.

The report's source also indicates that the Mac Pro will see the addition of 10 Gbit Ethernet connectivity and support for 8 GB and 16 GB RAM modules, pushing total RAM capacity to an astounding 128 GB.

Hardmac is unsure whether use of the Gulftown processor, to be branded Intel Core i9 and be part of Intel's Xeon 5600-series, would extend to the entry-level Mac Pro model or whether Apple will continue to use lower-level quad-core processors in those machines.

It is not unusual for Apple to receive early access to Intel's latest processor for use in the Mac Pro, with the most recent instance being the current generation, which received Nehalem processors prior to them even having been announced by Intel.

Article Link: Next-Generation Mac Pro to Receive Temporary Exclusive of Six-Core 'Gulftown' Processor?

So 24 virtual cores with hyperthreading... amazing! My 4 core original Mac Pro is still humming along quite well so, I probably won't be upgrading anytime soon. By then they'll probably have 64 cores or something. :eek3:

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

CES is 3 months away
    MacWorld is 4 months away
    we're still trying to figure out whats going on with the iMac/Mac Mini/MacBook

and we already started speculation on the 12 core mac pro :rofl:

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I'm definitely buying one if it comes out!

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I wish I had a use for 12 cores :big grin:

5. ady

ady New Member

It's likely it won't come within a year of the last one so mid March at the earliest.

While it probably doesn't corralate with launch times, the two times Apple launced 2 months after the processors came out they had the fastest processors and a great price compared to everyone else. The time they launched early they added on the $1,000 Apple tax, didn't offer the fastest processors and messed up the memory configuration. So I'll hold of on the excitement.