10's or 12's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by merlinski, Jun 10, 2004.

1. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

I have the opportunity to get a pair of 2 12" Rockford Fosgate HE2 RFP4212's at the same price as a pair of 2 10" Rockford Fosgate HE2 RFP4210's. I was wondering what opinions people have regarding 12's or 10's, and the relative pro's and con's.

I listen to some rap, but mostly rock/punk.

2. 04

04 Guest

The only con's to the 12" subwoofers is that they USUALLY will require a larger enclosure size. Other than that, if all other factors are equal, the 12" woofer will win as far as subbass is concerned.

3. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

properly set up, the difffence in sound would be the 12" would get a bit lower, while the 10" would hit the higher notes a little better.

4. On_One

On_One Guest

no true at all.

5. 04

04 Guest

Im curious to know what makes you feel this is true? As On_One said, there wont be any difference, all other factors equal.

6. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

you guys are saying that a 12" or 15" sub wont hit lower than a 10"....? sure it will. Why do u think some people use even 8" subs for midbass capabalities as well.

7. On_One

On_One Guest

Not arguing that. It's the comment regarding a 10" hittng higher notes better that i dispute.

8. 04

04 Guest

Not necessesarily. I can provide several examples of a 10" woofer that will extend lower than a 15" woofer.

Maybe they only use a 8" because thats all that will fit? Richard Clark used 12" midbasses in his Grand National.

9. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

of course there are 10" subs that can go lower than other 12" subs. I am saying of the same sub, the bigger size will go lower, and louder of course.

I have never heard someone until now argue that a bigger sub will hit lower than the same sub of a smaller size.

10. 04

04 Guest

If you are talking the exact same sub, then yes, you will have better low end response.
    I NEVER said that. I said in general, there are 10" woofers that extend lower than 12" or even 15".

This is how myths start. People misinterpret what we are saying. And I don't want that, and I'm sure you don't either :)

11. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

I'm gonna have to say that a bigger sub isn't necissarily louder. I had a 12w7 in an High output box in my Civic hb, then I switched it with a 10w7 in an H.O.
    box and it was noticably louder and sounded a lot better. Now i have 2 10w7's and it's louder and sounds a lot better than another guy's stereo that I work with who has 3 Power Rockford 12". Personally I prefer a nice 10" over a 12" anyday.

12. 04

04 Guest

There is no reason why a 10w7 would be louder than a 12w7 though. Did you go from a sealed box to a ported box as well?

13. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

No They were the exact same box. It was the one from JL with the red carpet. It's their HO box. I think the air space in the hatchback suits the 10" alot better than the 12"

14. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

what amp..?

15. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

Well last year I had a MMATS d300hc that was modified for dbdrag (no protection). My Rockford/MMATS rep told me they run between 2300 and 2500 Watts rms. Now I'm using 2 jl 1000/1's on 2 jl10w7's

16. 04

04 Guest

How did you fit the 10" and 12" in the same box?

The airspace in the hatchback suits neither driver more than the other. It suits them the same as a larger airspace, such as a sedan or minivan.

17. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

Sorry I didn't mean the exact same box but it's the same design but for a 10"

18. On_One

On_One Guest

:werd: It defies physics.