1080p movies seem... more vertically constrained than they should

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I understand black bars and aspect ratios but i'm confused why my 1920x1200 monitor displays 1080p movies with almost half the screen (cumulative) black barred. Isn't 1080p resolution something like 1900x1080? Shouldn't that mean almost the entire screen is movie (only 120 pixel blacked out cumulative)?

Any way to make fix this? It's just really weird how much of the screen is blacked out. Makes the movie experience a bit odd.

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I thought 1080p was 1024x768, lol.

This is a staright TV/DVD Player setup or a computer to monitor setup?

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

1080p is 1920x1080.

FYI I have this problem too and would love an answer... I buy a widescreen HD TV and STILL have huge black bars and HD movies only show up in the middle half of the screen (vertically) when I play them on my PC output to the TV over HDMI.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Could it be some kind of auto-scaler? If the videos themselves are natively 1080p then it should fill the entire screen.

I have had this problem before though... though I haven't encountered it in a while. Sorry I can't help more. What are you using to play the videos, VLC?

5. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I'm playing with WMP9 with ffdvideo and ffdaudio codecs.

Move is x264 with mkv.

The file size is only 5.5gb but it says 1080p. Could the encoding and compressing cause the loss in image size?

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Maybe some sort of codec issue. weird for a resolution problem tho.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

this thread is funny. Very few movies are in 16:9 ratio. Most will be 2.35:1. Which if it is '1080p' the actual resolution will be ~1920x820. So there will be black bars at the top and the bottom.

As long as there aren't black bars to the left and right, I am pretty sure it is displaying them correctly.

8. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Wow, I didn't know that.

Why is it that DVDs can better fit my screen though? The picture doesn't look distorted and the source is the same, isn't it?

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Because until recently most DVD's were cropped to 16:9. Because watching a 2.35:1 on a 4:3 is way to damn small.

If i take a look at all the blurays I have, almost all are 2:35:1 or 2.4:1. There are a few that are 16:9 but most are older movies (5 years old+).

10. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I've noticed this with quite a few MKV files. Mine actually look kinda squished so I just have to set the aspect ratio in Media Player Classic and it looks fine and fills more of the screen. Not sure why it does it, probably some auto format setting that I haven't found yet but its easy enough to fix that I don't try too hard to search through the settings.

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you can see the aspect on the back of the case, or look at the movie info for the real resolution if it is downloaded.

12. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

it's possible your player is displaying them at the wrong resolution.. I see that a lot when people who don't know anything set up their own DVD players and TVs.

but yeah most movies are wider than 16:9, so you'll have black bars on top and bottom regardless

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What lowfat said does make sense. 480, 720, and 1080 define the number of pixel rows in a 16:9 HDTV picture, but uncropped movies are in 16:6.8 (i.e. 2.35:1) format, so the number of pixel rows is reduced proportional to the picture's width.