1080p LCD vd DLP and Audio Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nubian, Dec 3, 2006.

1. nubian

nubian Active Member

i'm in the market for a 50"+ hdtv.
    i want to know the pro's and cons between lcd and dlp.
    what do you prefer and why?
    i figured you guys would know best.
    i googled this and i was only able to bring up articles from years ago.
    shit has changed alot (including price) since then.

i'm steering towards this: Samsung HL-S6187W 61" 1080p DLP

[​IMG]

Audio

what is better hdmi audio or fiber optic?

thanks in advance

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

DO you mean lcd projection, or lcd flat panel?

DLP can produce a true black color unlike any lcd technology. So you will get true colors, true black levels, and great shadow detail. This will make the entire image great. I have a 52" DLP in my living room and a 40" lcd panel in my bedroom and the dlp has alot better black levels and overall color accuracy and detail.

As far as hdmi vs fiber optic audio it really depends. I have setup receivers that switched hdmi and also used the audio and it sounded good. I've also set stuff up using fiber optic. Whatever is convenient based on your equipment/setup. HDMI can carry dts/sacd/dvd-a/and dolby digital signals, you just need a receiver that is hdmi 1.2+ compliant to handle everything.

3. nubian

nubian Active Member

i think it's projection.

as far as the audio goes i'm being pulled both directions.
    one saying fiber optic is better and the others are saying there's no difference; just the interface.

to put heavy though into it i figured fiber optic would be better since degrading of quality only exisit from impedance when it comes to the hdmi cables.

4. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

There shouldn't be a noticeable difference between HDMI and Fiber optic as they are both carrying a digital signal which wont degrade (I've heard people claim that some low frequencies can some how interfere with the optical signal in an optical cable ... Of course they always heard this from a monster sales rep who was explaining why their optical cables were better .....) Anyway you'll be fine using either connection

5. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Also look into the Mitsubishi dlp sets. They have a six color wheel as opposed to the Samsungs five. When you look at them side by side you will see that the mitsu's colors are more true to life when compared to the Samsung's.