$1000ish bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by emorphien, Dec 2, 2006.

1. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Looking for input and anything I've missed at this point. I've tried the following:

Paradium Studio 20s
    Focal Chorus 806 V (want to try the 807 V)
    Triangle Comete
    B&W CM 1
    Totem Rainmaker

Of those my least favorite was either the B&W or the Paradigm, I heard them separate times and in different places so it's hard to directly compare I realize. The best to my ear and for my musical preference was the Focal. I've also heard the range of Klipsch and Def Tech and don't care for htem.

Any other suggestions? I've about reached the limit of speakers I can find to listen to locally but I'm aware of a handful of others including Spendors, Linn, Von Schweikert, NHT, and a few others but I cannot find them locally. I know that there seems to be mostly car audio on here, and higher quality stereo home listening doesn't pop up much but maybe there's a few other nutheads floating around.

I listen primarily to rock, both classic and newer (progressive rock often) as well as a bit of jazz and a little classical.

I'm leaning towards the Focals now, but I need to audition the 807 (larger 7" woofer instead of 6.5 and a larger cabinet). The 807 V may be too much for my room but I want to hear them out... room is roughly 12x14 feet and the source is a NAD 50 watt amp.

2. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I have the 807v and love them. I can't wait until my stands come in (hopefully this week)

PS I got a set of the 807's and 806's and the wife and I preferred the 807s. I chose the Focal's to replace my MA RS6 setup. I also compared a set of the NHT 3's during my weekend long audition. All my listening was done in my home, with my gear.

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

How would you say the sound of the 807 V compares to the 806? And would they overwhelm a small room (12x14 feet)?

I'll probably use them on my existing stands initially then get something better later. I would have to get the local audio shop to get in a pair of the 807 but I'm not quite to that stage yet so anything you can say about them would be great, thanks!

4. SilverJettaGLX

While both sounded great, the 807's just sounded a tad more open and dynamic to me. If you can, you may want to get both to listen at home and return the set you don't like.

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I probably won't be able to swing that, BUT I am tempted to go for the 807's and see how it works out. Maybe I can convince the local shop to lend me the 806's. :x:

By the way, how much were your 807's? I haven't found much on pricing but I thought I read they were $1000. The 806's were $800.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i wish i had a local dealer carrying half the brands you listed :(

7. SilverJettaGLX

MSRP is 1000 /pr

I paid less, but my dealer has sworen me to secrecy as to how much less.

8. emorphien

emorphien New Member

That's good info for me. The dealer I would get them from will probably sell them to me for less :) They gave me a big discount on my NAD gear.

9. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I'm sure you have local dealers carrying B&W and Paradigm, right? They're like the bread and butter of higher quality speakers.

Funny, because I'm not a huge fan of either :rofl:

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was referring to triangle, totem, and focal

and i dont think theres any major B&W dealer around here

i got paradigm studio 100s from a local dealer, after that it jumps up to Linn and McIntosh stuff for speakers

11. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Oh oh yeah yeah. I really wanted to like the Totem, and while I did, it isn't right for my listening. Really capable speaker for its size and driver config though.

12. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Ok so my dealer will let me borrow the 806 V's (will take them up on that next week after I've rearranged my listening space) and will give me a bit of a discount on the 807 V's too if I want to go that route.

SilverJetta, can you comment any on the midrange clarity or presence? Is there any appreciable loss when going to the 7" driver? I would expect there to be some, but perhaps it's not a very major loss and the added bottom end performance (and increased efficiency of the speaker) might more than offset a minimal dip in midrange performance.

13. SilverJettaGLX

I didnt detect much if any in my listening between the 806/7v, but I was expecting to. About 2 years ago I did a comparison between the Monitor Audio S1 & S2, which are comparable to the 806v & 807v. I felt the 7" driver of the larger S2, gave up some speed and accuracy for an extended low end that seemed a little too overwhelming for my tastes. I still say listen to both if at all possible.

RE: Totems, I heard a demo of the Forest's a while back and was very impressed.

14. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I just went back to the shop that had the Totems and had them hook them up to a Rotel, which would be closer to my NAD in terms of dynamic power than the Marantz.

As I suspected the beefier integrated amp handled the 4ohm load of the Rainmakers much better and really let them shine. I am pretty much certain I'm going to go with the Rainmaker now that I've heard it properly driven. Hopefully it will match well with my NAD C320BEE (It should, and others have confirmed as much). Down the road in a larger room I may want more power, but for now I hope it should be an excellent pair.

The Rainmakers just had an awe inspiring sound stage, and they were incredibly smooth. They lacked some of the visceral impact of the 806 V but had better microdynamics and overall dynamics were quite similar. In fact, remarkably, they dug in to deeper frequencies than I could have possible expected from such a design. They're rated 42Hz-20Khz +/- 3db and I have to say they definitely extend below 50Hz.

They were just such an incredibly inviting speaker when properly driven, I think they'll be a better choice for my tastes in the long run. I'm glad I gave them a second chance!

15. SilverJettaGLX

Congrats!
    :cool:

My experience with Totem is rather limited. Ive heard both the dreamcatchers and forrests. The dreamcatchers were OK, but showed the limitations of thier size ( I only heard them in a 5.1 setup watching a movie demo). The Forests on the other hand were amazing. The bass was amazing, I was looking around to double check that there wasnt a sub hidden somewhere in the room. And they were o so silky smooth. One of the better 2-ch demos Ive heard. Also, these were powered by Rotel gear. Sadly they were out of my budget at the time. While my budget has increased since then, the dealer dropped them for Canton. Have you listened to monitor audio gold series? The GR/GS-10's mated to Parasound Halo is an amazing combo IMO.

16. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Monitor Audio is another I'd like to hear, but they aren't carried anywhere locally.

I haven't listened to the Dreamcatcher, based on everything I've read it's not really suited to my listening preferences. Neither is the Arro, concidentally. The Arro is supposed to be a great light and quick speaker, but it doesn't have the oomph for rock material according to almost every review I've seen. The Rainmaker and their other larger bookshelf & floorstander models do though. Amazing performance considering their size and 5.5" woofer, but that also makes them very fast.

It will really come down to how they match up with my NAD components, and in my room. I expect to be very happy with them, if not I'll probably give the Focals a go next. I'm more than happy to lose some of the "big" sound of the Focals to get a speaker that's smoother and can reproduce the delicacies better while still pumping out considerable sound. It's totally a preference thing at this point as they're both good, just in different ways. The Rainmaker is more fussy about being amplified right it seems.

I've never had a speaker this inexpensive send tingles down my spine with the right music, the Rainmaker really stuck a chord with me.

17. Maverick

Maverick Guest

[​IMG]

JBL LSR4328> those $1k "bookshelf" speakers.

18. emorphien

emorphien New Member

:rofl: uh-huh

I've heard some powered monitors in the past. It all depends on what you want, and I don't want that. Not enjoyable to listen to IMO.

As far as the bookshelf term, that's pretty much a colloqualism. I wouldn't put them on anything other than a pair of stands.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  19. emorphien

emorphien New Member

So I got the totems finally just the other day after waiting 2.5 weeks. Absolutely stunning is the best way to describe them. One of the best speakers for my personal taste in speaker and music that I've heard without spending quite a lot more money. They won't work for everyone, but they certainly work for me :)

20. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

I listened to some Totems @ CES...

Solid Company.

It was really great getting to hear DOZENS of HighEnd audio companies all in the same place.

21. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Powered speakers actually have many advantages over passive designs, but because they tend to be used in recording they are engineered to have a flat treble response. Many audiophiles don't like this because it makes bright recordings difficult to listen to.

22. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Certainly, I agree they have their advantages.