$1000 home theater: recommendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MartyFukstein, Jun 3, 2005.

1. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

I already have a 55" HDTV, so the $1000 will apply to the speakers and components.

Requirements:

1. Integrated receiver and DVD player. No need for an AM/FM tuner or a CD player. This system will play movies exclusively.

2. Compact. The receiver/DVD player unit must be small. No size constraints on the speakers and sub.

3. Rear speakers must be wireless. They are being mounted in a place where I cannot run speaker wires. How do these speakers work, by the way? Batteries?

This system seems adequate:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TqGVLYNyDEc/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=37700&I=158DAVFR10&search=wireless

Opinions?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

The rear speakers still require AC power. They just have built-in amplifiers. Why can't you run speaker wires?

For $1000 it does sound like maybe a pre-built system would be the best choice.

3. Ne Plus Ultra

Ne Plus Ultra New Member

This series of Dream System is good for a smaller room, around 15' x 15' give or take a few feet. The system lacks subwoofer power since it draws its power from the receiver, and the sound is all around flat and tingy. All show, no go.

4. jayvuu

jayvuu New Member

my dad got that dream system like the one in your link but its not wireless. but yea like Ne Plus Ultra said this system is good for smaller rooms. doesnt have that much bass. although it does look nice with our 70" xbr, i would have got a yamaha reciever and like bose speakers or something.

5. millero

millero Aluminum Member

I know this really doesnt apply to yours because of the wireless deal and maybe the size constraints, but my 1000w Onkyo system sounds great for only 300 bucks.

6. jayvuu

jayvuu New Member

^^^ oh ya i always see those at fry's. those sound good for the price

7. MartyFukstein

8. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Dude, DO NOT GET THE BOSE!
    A lot of people thrash that company, and there's a reason for it. They give you pieces of shits and sell to you their name and the perceived "prestige". If they cannot replicate mono signals properly, they sure as hell can't meet your requirements.

At your pricepoint, i'd say go with a HT in a box system. Athena's 5 channel systems are cheap and are very good for the price. Pick up a decent sub and you're set, in terms of speakers. Do check out the new digital receivers from JVC or Panasonic(Only the JVC F series receivers and the Panasonic XR series!). I have a Teac Al-700p (which has the Tripath 2050 board, and it's amazing (if you're willing to try something, for $40 dollars, get a Sonic Impact amplifier for a taste of Tripath digital amplification technology http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html .) Although i haven't heard the JVC or Panasonic units, they are all the rage in a lot of forums, namely www.audiocircle.com and audioasylum.com. They can be picked up on the cheap, and they're fantastic for the price.

Whatever you do, have a listen in the store to hear what you like. Stores aren't the greatest place to test sound, but it's better to have a taste (albeit a small taste) than to get something you've never listened to.

But please avoid bose, there's a LOT better options out there. A lot of the other guys here will give you some advice.

Good Luck Broly

9. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

For speakers, I recommend that you look at Ascend Acoustics. They are not pretty, but they are maybe the best bang for the buck speakers out there. I had some and I regret selling them. All of their speakers are good, but I would recommend using CBM-170's up front and HTM-200's for the rears. They also sell HSU subwoofers which are nothing short of excellent. Even their least expensive sub will absolutely trash anything that Bose has to offer.

Just pick up an all in one DVD/Receiver, some speaker wire, and a subwoofer cable and you are good to go with much better sound than you would get from Bose.

You should easily be able to stay in the $1,600 ballpark.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

PSB speakers are supposed to be decent, so are Axiom, the cheaper JBL line for a budget set up, monitor audio, and for subs id recommend HSU, Velodyne, SVS.

not sure if my recommendations are truely the best but each of those brands is worth atleast a look

11. MartyFukstein

Thanks for the warning about Bose. I will sacrifice some sound quality for aesthetics, and the Bose Lifestyle systems offer very small 3" x 3" speakers. If I can achieve most of that inconspicuousness with a non-Bose arrangement, I'd drop the Bose idea, but I can't find a set of speakers as small as their "jewel cubes."

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

what do u need small speakers for?

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i rock polk and energy speakers in my system. picked it all up for about $700, granted they were floor models and year model clearance, but they all sound great. I'm using a Yamaha receiver and I LOVE it. I agree with the guys on the bose thing, they suck. don't reproduce sound for shiat. check out the athenas and jbls for sure. I haven't heard the other speakers, but in what i have heard all the brands in my post have great sounding speakers for the budget you are using!

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah Yamaha is definately a solid choice for a good receiver