1000 dollar budget for home stereo.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by midnite, Jun 2, 2003.

1. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Alright what would be the best combo for 1000 dollars. I would like to eventually have sourround sound but it does not have to be all at once. Ive been told to buy a reciver and a pair of speakers first, then save money for the rest.

I would like to use a Denon reciever but i am not sure what speakers to go with.

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

Denon 1803 or 2803 to start with

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Where is a good place to buy? I know crutchfield has them but they are expensive. And what pair of bookshelf speakers would be good. I know i should go listen to some before i buy but i was just wondering what your recommendations would be.

4. 04

04 Guest

:ugh:

Uhh, I don't think spending half the budget, or 80% of the budget on the reciever is a good idea....

How about a reciever around 200 bux? And the remaining 800 on speakrs?

5. pooshda

pooshda Guest

For $1000 you wont get anything great, plain and simple.. but you might be able to get something pretty decent, my Denon reciever is more than your budget so I think maybe Denon would be the wrong direction unless you want to buy it piece by piece and go over $1k... You could get a pretty damn nice reciever ONLY for that price though...

You might be best off buying one of those "all in one" kind of deals with small satellite speakers, a small sub, and a small reciever/cd player combo or something... because buying individual components will surely run you WELL over $1k. But I am used to looking at HT shops so I dont know how affordable those components can be elsewhere.

Good luck!

6. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

my receiver (Yamaha htr-5560) is $399 it has 6ch. and the sound is very clear. i reccomend yamaha for the receiver.

7. pooshda

pooshda Guest

Damn thats not a bad price at all

8. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Kenwood VR-6070, Fluance AV-HTB setup, Sony WAM-10 sub. Should bring you in well under $1000 and still sound very nice.

9. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Anyone know anything about Paradigm speakers? A friend of mine suggested them to me

10. nt

nt Guest

for $1k i'd stick w/ 2 channels...

used integrated amp something like NAD/Rotel (usually < $500).

then get something like psb, nht, or paradigm monitors and subswoofers (again set-up will be < $500).

remaining $100-200 goes to front-end...will have to be digital. been playing around w/ SACD, some really cheap ones avail.

try...http://www.audiogon.com/

11. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Yahamas are great for the price. You can probably get a good set of polk audio speakers and sub for 600.

12. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

For 1000 dollars I would just want a reciever and 2 speakers. Eventually I would like to buy sourround and a sub but it would not be at this time. I would not need a cd player because I will have the reciever hooked into my computer

13. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

14. 04

04 Guest

Yes, definatly, those are badass speakers...

Please Please Please spend the money on a decent pair of speakers (like those) and spend perhaps 300 on a 5.1 reciever, and the remaining 200 on a progressive scan dvd player and cabling. :x: Upgrade to surrounds and subwoofer later...

15. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

thats what i plan on doing :) Like ive said a couple times in this thread i wouldnt be buying sourrounds or a sub until later.

I dont think i would need a dvd player as this is for my room and i already have a dvd player in my computer :)

my computer = my only source of music pretty much

16. nt

nt Guest

before you said all cables sound the same. change your mind?

17. 04

04 Guest

NO cables still sound the same, provided you are not using redicoulously thin speaker cables, or are in an excessively noisy environment.

Why would I change my mind on something so straightforward? I mean this is a cakewalk compared to amplifiers...

I still have yet to hear of anyone passing a blind test between speaker wire or interconnects...

Plenty of people say they can though.

Why are you bringing that up in this thread anyways? What does that have to do with anything?

Are you trying to flame me or something?

Just so you know in the future, I will NOT change my mind and say that cables have sonic signatures (OTHER THAN REJECTING NOISE) and a wellmade amplifier playing within its linear levels will all sound the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2003
  18. 04

04 Guest

:cool:

I play all my music from my computer too. I am about halfway through ripping and encoding all 150+ of my cds. I also use it as my dvd player, but damn, I really need a larger screen :sad2:

19. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

encoding takes a long ass time :sad2:

20. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, but it also depends on the preset you use. I use insane and i typically get 8x realtime encodes, on a relativly slow 1.46ghz athlon.

21. nt

nt Guest

No flame intended. Just found the comment odd, given your past assertions.

22. pooshda

pooshda Guest

I have them... but for $1,000 budget they are out of your price range, I spent more than $1k on my speakers alone and they are just shelf sized units & powered sub.

I love my paradigm speakers though, hopefully will be upgrading to their "studio" line in the future but my wallet will not allow that.

23. 04

04 Guest

OK, with 200 dollars remaining he could spend 150 on a dvd player, 25 on a roll of 12awg cable, and 25 on a toslink cable... That doesnt buy "audiophile" cables does it? :eek:

24. nt

nt Guest

nah. for the $200 i'd still buy a decent used cd player. can't stand sound of mp3's.

25. 04

04 Guest

Last time I checked a DVD player could easily play audio cd's....

Some of your fellow audiophiles think that mp3's can sound as good as cd if encoded properly. :eek: