$1000 budget for 5.1 speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by midnite, Apr 6, 2007.

1. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

trying to figure something out for my dad's new HT system, he is looking at some Orb Audio system for $1000 and pairing it with a 5 channel Onkyo reciever (TX-SR604) but I was thinking something like the av123 xl-s/xc-s system would be better.http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=93.1 Id love to get him to buy an Outlaw Audio Preamp/amp setup but i think that would be out of his price range as he is buying a sharp aqous 52in HDTV at the same time. opinions?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. Create

Create :free at last:

Paper cone, plastic surround mid/sub's, fabric tweeters...sub driver is only 8in...Boxes are heavy and well-designed :ugh:

3. Create

You could get into a low-end Infinity setup. Link's got a package deal for $999, 6mo's free financing, and free shipping:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542300582

Pick up a nice receiver to last the next decade. I like Onkyo as well.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=ONK+TXSR804S.&JRSource=PriceGrabber.datafeed.ONK+TXSR804S.

Dennon makes good stuff. If you want to step down a bit on the receiver but take advantage of 6mo's/shipping at Vann's:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/538550351

If you havn't heard Infinity MMD speakers before you should definitely go to a store and listen to them. Make sure you can get your hands on the receiver driving them and adjust the treble.

Infinity's low end setup's aren't know for hefty bass, but it will be accurate. At any reasonable volume level, 450W *should* be enough that you can turn it up if you need.

Important questions: How big is the room this is going to be setup in? How loud do you like to turn it up?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ive heard the x-ls 5.1 System system is decent :dunno:

5. Create

The driver technology seems rather Bose-esque with speakers that handle more power. 2nd order crossovers are shit. Phase adjustment is shit as it's a switch, not a potentiometer. I don't even see features to add value. It's just a nice box.

With the infinity system you're getting much better drivers, garanteed better mid/high reproduction; A 12" 450W sub instead of the 8"...I doubt infinity is lacking much on the others in box design.

I don't think anything using fabric/paper drivers is worth $900.

6. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

X-LS is very good for the price. Get a small HSU rather than the X-Sub.

7. Create

All I see is subjective one-liners supporting what looks like overpriced crap drivers in nice boxes. x-ls, x-cs : same junk drivers.

Objective info, anyone?

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

review:

First Impressions

When the X-LS arrived I was a bit surprised at the size of the shipping container: It seemed large for something housing a pair of 2-way bookshelf speakers. Popping the thing open I found packed within the outer container a second container and inside that were located the speakers. Size mystery solved. This packing approach is a great way to ensure your system arrives intact and in working order.
    [​IMG] Each speaker, wrapped in a plastic cover and well protected by the container-within-a-container, arrived unscathed and ready to rock. Accessory-wise, the package included spikes that can be bolted into the base of each cabinet, should you feel the need to use them. Along with the spikes are supplied discs for use with the spikes, should you need to avoid poking holes in whatever you have the speakers perched on. The speakers did not come equipped with grill clothes and provided for no means to attach one. Cable attachment is accomplished with the usual 5-way binding posts.

A bit about the cabinet. The shipping documents indicated the finish was white maple and indeed it was. The white maple veneer is banded across the cabinet in a clever and aesthetically pleasing way that I've not seen done before. It all adds up to an intriguingly attractive product that would look good in a variety of decorating schemes.

nside Look

[​IMG] A quick look at the inside of x-ls shows a well constructed MDF cabinet, cross-braced and further packed with damping material. The duct, oriented so that its interior end terminates near the back of the shielded tweeter, is flared at its exterior end only.

The crossover network is positioned at the front end of the cabinet's bottom panel. All components are tie-wrapped and/or glued to the circuit board. All connections are soldered and 12 AWG wire is used throughout. This is rare in speakers at any price since most use 14-16AWG. Impressive for a 199/pr of speakers!
    The tweeter used is a convex soft-dome unit, featuring a 25.4 mm voice coil, fully shielded and sporting a damped rear chamber.
    Free air resonance is 1kHz and sensitivity clocks in at about 96 dB. Nonlinear distortion tests showed this to be exceptionally clean for a driver in this price range.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Figure 1: x-ls Tweeter Impedance Curve

[​IMG]

The woofer, approximately 6.5" in diameter, presents a curvilinear treated-paper composite cone. The unit comes with a vented pole-piece, a bumped backplate, phase plug, vented Kapton voice coil and a polymer chassis.
    Like the tweeter with which it's partnered in this system, the woofer measured, in terms of nonlinear distortion, exceptionally clean for a driver this size in its price class.
    The DIY versions of these drivers total out at just under $110.00, more than half the retail of this product!

source audioholics.com, more can info can be found at their site

9. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

the xl-s series have recieved alot of praise on head-fi

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you could also go with axiom for a bit more money

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

vanns does look like a pretty good deal though

12. Create

I'll digress. I poked around the audioholics forums and found a few threads with a similar price range.

Recommendations included the x-cs line and the Infinity Primus series (what I'd posted earlier). av123 must have some seriously well-engineered products. x-ls line ports the box for response down low.

Personally, I'd take the Infinity's. If you go with the av123's get the cs line and upgrade the sub.

13. Create

Axiom entry-level is $1.4k and he may need more power for his space.

Infinity's Primus line is on clearance most places right now.

14. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

room is too small for those infinitys, may even be too small for the av123 system.

i looked at the orb audio setup and they seem impressive though im not really a fan of the super small speakers, but the way the room is setup that may be the only thing that fits :hs:

15. Create

Mighty small room for a 52" TV.

Something more like this may be what you need. Don't expect it to get too loud.

I believe it's paired with the Micra 6 model.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10077063&catid=19701&test%5Fcookie=1

16. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

17. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

18. Create

7" x 10" footprint is too large?