A&P 100 or 400 speed film in a Holga?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Pussysmith, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I just too my first round of pictures with my Holga. I ran two rolls of 400 speed 35mm film. It was a very bright day. The ones taken in more light didn't come out as good. So I was told by a lady at the shop to use 100 speed film. Is this correct or should I just stick to 400 speed? I plan on shooting 120mm and that is expensive film and processing so I want to get it right. Also, I taped up the back window so light wouldn't hit the back of my 35mm film but now I can't see the counter for the 120mm film. Does anyone know how many clicks between frames? Thanks!

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I don't know much about the holga, but doesn't it have shutter and ap settings? there's no reason why 100 iso film would produce better exposed images than 400 iso film if you meter the scene properly. They only benefit to 400 ISO film would be that you wouldn't need as long of a shutter speed in lower light vs the 100 ISO film.

3. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Hmm you just used big words. The shutter speed on a Holga is fixed at 1/100 I think? I figured the 100 speed film is less sensitive to light?

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

this might help you out

http://squarefrog.co.uk/holga/index.php?id=films

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

That was exactly what I needed. Now does anyone know how many clicks between frames for 120mm film or do I have to scrape off the flat black spray paint I used over the counter window? I guess I have to because I need to get to the start "1".

6. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

just search google for holga mods. there are plenty of people out there that love these cheap little things and can give you a crazy amount of info.

7. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

hy did you spray paint over the plastic window? you could just rubberband a playing card on top if it if you're worried about light fucking up the film

8. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Yeah I will remove the paint off the lens. You are right. I took some pictures with 35mm in a garage with medium light. We will see what happens in an hour when I get it back.

9. Hippy

Hippy New Member

i use 400 on cloudy days and 100 on sunny days.

10. Hippy

Hippy New Member

also, u need that viewfinder window, esp if u are doing multiple expousers and panoramas.

Some holgas have an adjustable aperture (1 stop) but on most it comes in a state that doesnt work and you have to do a little modding to fix it.

11. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

pretty much all holgas are stuck on f/8. google or OT search for the sunny 16 rule and adjust acordingly. after a while you get used to manually metering by eye once you know some tricks.

12. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

My pictures came out pretty bad. I think I didn't have enough light. Oh well. Try again today.

13. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

lol, i wouldnt expect a masterpiece out of a holga. just remember, on a bright sunny day, your sunny 16 says if your shooting iso 100, then 1/100 of a second at f/16 will work. so a holga on a bright sunny day will be two stops over exposed.

if your that worried about your exposure try getting used to the camera with some tmax or tri-x B&W film. its cheap and is really forgiving. plus you can push/pull the film very easily.

14. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Well I shot two great rolls and now I shot one terrible one. My great ones came out using 400 on a very sunny day. My bad one was 400 in pretty much little light. I will try 400 indoors tonight and compare.

15. planb

planb itches in my teeth

I always use kodak portra 400 in my holga. I only use 100 on the brightest of bright days.

but then again each holga is a little different it seems, everyone has their own tastes, just takes time to figure out what works for yours.

16. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Here I go again for some more filming. YES!!!