100 MBPS vs 1000 MBPS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Nov 18, 2005.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Got a network with 100 users. All connected to about 8 hubs, 2 switches and a fiber link to connect the two switches. All run cat5e cables at 100 MBPS.

Was told to look into going to gigabit switches. Will replacing all of the 100 mbps hubs/switches with gigabit switches be so much more beneficial to the company? I have about 12 servers running everything from print servers, file storage, citrix, exchange, and a intranet. Where will I see the difference?
    Can i put half the company on gigabit rates and leave the other half on 100 mbps. Have you seen any discrepencies with this? Any info would be a great help.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Your links between switches are inadequate if they are only 100 megabit. You can either go with gigabit links here, or you can bond multiple 100 megabit connections into one, and link them with 2-3 cables each. Depending on what hardware you have. For the servers, you can either go with gigabit, or slap redundant cards on them and bond those connections into a virtual interface. This adds bandwidth and redundancy.

If I were you, I would measure actual throughput during peak hours between different links, and upgrade as required. Your switches should be able to do that, and if they can't then get some that can. Then trunk your lines together as required until you see a diminishing return.

Gigabit can be a simple way to avoid playing with trunking lines between level-1 and 2 switches, but there is probably no need to deliver it to the end user, unless you move around a hell of alot of large files. If you're going to start on a gigabit upgrade path, then start with the server connections (most upstream) and the links that aggregate the most other links. Work your way down towards the client. After you upgrade or trunk multiple lines on the key links between your switches, and to your servers, I think upgrading further won't get you a noticeable difference between 100MB and 1000MB. But, again the only way to be sure is the look at your traffic. And hey... get YOUR workstation on gigabit and see ;)

I've never actually gotten gigabit approved by the suits, btw. I've never used it. But I've taken it as far as having trunked connections going to each server, and between level 2 switches. And we did need it. Network size was... 150? Very high peak traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_trunk

I thought trunking was SO COOL when I learned about it. To do the redundant connections to win2k AS servers, we used an MS certified product with a trial version available. Can't remember the name of it, but you should be able to find it in a search for "trunk ethernet windows" or whatever. It worked well. We tested it pretty hard core for its redundancy abilities, and it worked like a charm with one cable unplugged. Linux has a similar capability, and I had my workstation using dual connections too, but without an actual trunking protocol setup on the switch in that case. Linux can do it all smart like.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

By the way, I think its safe to say that the knowledge bomb was just dropped.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yikes, hubs are bad news, if you convert everything to just switches, you will see a definate increase in throughput. hubs have too many collisions, i'd also like to know how you would go about providing a dhcp ip address to every node with switches and then how they can get out on the internet.
    i'm pretty sure you would need to upgrade your cabling to cat6 to run gigabit ethernet. damn, i should know this stuff, i'm about 3 weeks from graduating with a networking hardware/software degree, haha

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My assumption was that he is not actually using hubs. They are switches. They're just simple unmanaged switches. Its almost impossible to even find 100 megabit hubs. (I know... I looked and looked and looked, and I could only find a single 10 megabit hub selling ANYWHERE. I needed to be sniffing alot of traffic from a segment of a network. I hadda take 2 'hubs' back that were really switches.) And no, cat 6 is for 10 gigabit. Cat 5E handles gigabit just fine.

DHCP will broadcast like a champ across as many switches as you want ;) Switches still broadcast broadcasts. If they didn't, ARP wouldn't work.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Nominees for best answer EVAR: Peyomp

Nominees for most knowledge dropped: Peyomp

Nominees for outstanding service while having awkward feekling of hydrocortisone suppository melting buttery goodness in his bum: Peyomp

The winners are... Peyomp, Peyomp, Peyomp!

7. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

nice, a knowledge bomb

8. dorkultra

hmm, i have a 100mbps hub...
    [​IMG]
    i never ever ever use it anymore, now that i have a router (which is actually a switch) but thats not professional grade equiptment by any means, unless you have a business of 5 people, haha

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats not really a hub. Thats a switch. I have one in the droor next to my bed. I forgot to give it back. Its the first one I bought that wasn't a hub, it was a switch. Try sniffing ethernet on it... all you'll get are broadcasts.

And don't you dare question me again you sunumbitch! I AM KING OF THIS THREAD! OOOOOGAAAA!

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

http://wiki.ethereal.com/HubReference has a list of real and fake hubs. Real hubs are great for network sniffing, without having to fabricate a freaking sniffing box and then joining the freaking in/out into one interface.

Exactly as I remember. Bow before me. You are MINEEEEeeee.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF YOUR HUB IS REAL!?

What kinda degree you getting? Bachelors?

I wish I had a degree sometimes. Then I could not know whether my hub was real or not, and I'd be content about it.

I'm tired. I have a puppy named Pavlov. She is a big baby bear. I'm gonna go snuggle her now.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just to prove my superiority to you in this thread, I present you Pavlov the Fascist Puppy Snuggling a Fake Hub:

[​IMG]

PWNED!

13. dorkultra

ok, you own the thread, you rock. anyways, what do you expect for an associates degree at a community college and no certs, haha

14. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

My name is glassuser and I agree with this threa

15. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

This is the most bizarre thread I've seen in this forum.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, were it not so fact filled it would be totally inappropriate. Man, was I tired :)

17. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

My office is getting gigabit in the next couple months. But most of the users will be connecting with the PRO100s found onboard on most of our systems.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Gigabit cards often use PCI Express, or other faster slots. But the bottom line is that users won't much benefit, no.

If you had like... 50 artists pulling lots of images from a stock photo library, as an example then you would benefit. But then you would still have to trunk lines on your backbones to get the full benefit.

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Its 1066 megabits/s. So it can sorta take advantage of gigabit, but most of my users are only going to have 100 Mb cards anyway.

Right now we are on Token Ring and really need to upgrade anyway.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Peyomp I'm so fucking impressed it's not even funny...

...I've never seen someone kiss their own ass with such vigor before.:mamoru:

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thanks. I dream sometimes I can blow myself, but that it doesn't feel very good...

22. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

peyomp grates his teeth :rofl: