100% CPU revisted

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Apr 12, 2007.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Well, the first time I posted I thought it could have been caused by IE7. Well, I did a drive image of my clean XP install with my bare minimal programs. Before I did any updates, I noticed that I was still getting the 100% cpu usage.

First off, I don't think so, but is there any chance the drive image messes up things? I noticed that when my system rebooted windows did a disk check for errors, which turned up fine.

I was thinking about doing a clean install, but if the above works fine, I really don't want to have to go through it. What you guys think? maybe hardware problems starting to shop up?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

when you do a ctrl+alt+del, what is taking up all the cpu in the processes tab?

3. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I wish it was that easy, nothing looks abnormal. system idle process for the cpu time. svchost.exe

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

svchost is a system process
    i've had it ping 100% right after a fresh install, it was doing it for a few minutes, then it settled down

5. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Would it be possible for you to post a SS of the task man proc tab?

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC :cool:

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Have you installed the chipset drivers yet?

7. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

It seems to be working. You know, I actually have been going to the Sony site to check for updates. *Note to self, don't rely on them*. I looked for newer chipset drivers, but then I noticed that theirs was from 2003 still, and that's what I had on mine. I don't know why I didn't think of this when I went to Intel's site to download new drivers for my wireless(read about security vulnerabilities with Centrinos) recently. It seems to be working. Maybe the new wireless drivers didn't play nice with the chipset, but I was still experiencing the problem when I went back to a clean install. Oh well, Fuck, I'm such a newb. Guess no c2d for me for awhile, my 1.7 ghz Centrino is fast enough for now. Goin on 4 years....

Thanks man. Hope this doesn't come back...

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's a common mistake. People kinda expect the motherboard to work automatically, but they've got so many built-in third-party devices on them now that motherboard require their own drivers just to boot up properly these days.