100/133; Does it really matter?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Mar 4, 2004.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I've got a Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 hard drive 120gb 7200rpm 8mb and I also have a Western Digital ATA 100 120gb 7200rpm 8mb hard drive.

I plan on installing both of these drives on the same system. What I'd like to know is if what the difference is really between the UATA 133 vs UATA 100?

Should i set up the 133 as the master and the 100 as the slave or should I return the 100 and wait to pick up another 133? (As far as I know Western Digital doesn't make EIDE 133 drives?)

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So little difference you won't notice it.

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

5Gen_Prelude: Thanks for the answer... :) It seems like you're always the 1st to reply to my questions. :bigthumb:

I have a general question about RAID. I'm sure I don't need it, but I've heard it helps speed up performance, so since I have 2 hdd that are both 120gb's could I create a raid 0? And what do I need in terms of raid controller cards?

4. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

133 is really just a marketing tactic...no noticeable increase at all, dont worry about it
    You could create a RAID 0 array, but i dont know if you would really notice unless you're doing HDD intensive work (vid editing?)

5. MP

MP New Member

raid0 definitly speeds things up. just think about writing/reading to 2 disks at the same time compared to just one. That's your speed increase. I'm running a raid0 set up and it's pretty quick. As far as controller cards just a basic one is all you'de need. Nothing to special.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Raid 0 kinda sucks because your advantage is peformance, where as your disadvantages include reducing your storage space in half and no fault tolerence. Basically you increase your odds of losing data by 2 since one HD failing is as good as both HD's failing.

7. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Up All Night: Thanks for confirming, I was contemplating returning the Western Digital and getting another 133 Maxtor, but I guess you guys definitely know what you're talking about (good thing for me - :) ).

Nah, I don't do any vid editing, just some graphic design work (photoshop, illustrator, quark), a little programming work now and then VB6, VB.NET, html apps and some gaming. I'd just been reading up on RAID and read that RAID 0 improved speed. Wasn't sure how and I'm still researching, but from all the reading I've been doing so far it looks like RAID would be a waste for my needs. I'll just partition my 2 drives instead.

Thank you guys very much for letting me know that the ata speeds of 100/133 are that minor. I was worried that it'd be a big enough difference and slow down the hard drive pipeline (guess not huh? - again, this proves that I know nothing.) :big grin:

8. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Yeah, I read that and decided against it. Then I read up on Raid 1 but Raid 1 kind of sux due to the fact that it halves the actual capacity of the HDD, and provides no improvement in speed.

I'm reading up on Raid 1+0 and Raid 0+1...but I think I'mma stay away from Raid as I don't think I really need it.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Well consider CD drives, I'd love to see a 52x speed drive actually perform anywhere near that during normal operation.

10. MP

MP New Member

yeah i worry about a hd failure all the time. Luckily i have everything backed up on dvd media for now so i don't have to worry THAT much. In the future i'de definitly like to get a massive file server up running raid 0 + 1.

11. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Isn't the storage space the same for RAID0 because there is no overhead at all?

And yeah, like everyone else has said, I wouldn't recommend RAID0 on any machine that has no backup solutions. I've seen it gone bad too often. Hell, it even happened to me.

12. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah, you're right.

13. Luni420

Luni420 Boost Addict

Just go scsi. Its much better and more consistent if you can afford it.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

Actually SATA's getting up there in speed now.