GUN 10/20 and 10/30 PMAG review (10 round mag crew) **PICS**

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, May 21, 2009.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Recently I had the pleasure of being able to test two modified Magpul PMAG magazines. They were the standard 20 round and 30 round models, black (without windows), and they have the ability to clip the dust covers to the bottom of the mags – a neat trick. Having been an owner of multiple AR15s I’ve always wanted to try out PMAGs but living in California makes this somewhat difficult due to the high-capacity magazine ban. The two magazines I tested were modified permanently to be California compliant (10 round capacity); perfect for my AR15s – both of which are equipped with the bullet button feature (allows you to detach the magazine with the use of a tool).

[​IMG]

When I received the mags I was very impressed. There were no immediately noticeable markings from where the modifications were made, however upon closer inspection I could see some of the epoxy or bonding material used to permanently seal the base plate to the bottom of the magazine; this did not detract from the overall appearance and is hardly visible. When I shook the mags there was a slight rattle – almost like a paint can. I assume this is the dowel inside that prevents the follower from taking more than 10 rounds. It is nothing that takes away from the quality (and reliability) but some might not like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested the two magazines with my newly built AR15 (Doublestar lower, RRA LPK, BCM 16” Carbine upper and Troy BUIS). I put 100 rounds of Prvi M193 through each mag; they also happened to be the first 200 rounds through my new build – everything functioned perfectly. There was no difficulty loading the mags, inserting them on a closed or open bolt, feeding each round, or having the bolt lock back on the last round.

I have never used “normal” PMAGs so I have no basis for comparison, but the 10/20 and 10/30 I tried out stack up just as well next to the 10/30 C-Product mags I have, if not better considering the well known reliability surrounding PMAGs. Personally the 10/20 is my favorite between the two, just because it gives a different look to the rifle as a whole. I would not hesitate to buy some of these 10/20 or 10/30 PMAGs, or recommend them to a friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wavey:

2. Nice! Like you said, the pmags are easy to seat on a closed bolt. I can actually fit 31 rounds in some of my pmags (I haven't tried it with all of them.)

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

So how do you clean the mags if you can't take the baseplates off?

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Yeah, OTer THT PMed me a while back asking if i'd put 100 rounds though the two mags, write up a quick review and snap some photos :coold:

I guess it's gonna be used commercially for his store to sell 10/20 and 10/30 mags to California residents.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

I think you answered your own question.

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Wait so you need a bullet button and you still can only have 10 rounds? I thought it was either/or.

Fucking worthless.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

pretty much.

anything more than 10 round with a bullet button automatically creates an unregistered assault weapon :greddy:

8. Rip The Jacker

What the fuck is wrong with you people? California should be the most badass state of the union, not the pussiest state :mad:

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl:

:hs:

10. Rip The Jacker

I know, but I know a bunch of people that have this attitude "Well it sucks, but its worth putting up with". Fuck no its not.

I'm not saying you guys have this attitude, or that you have a choice.

11. Rip The Jacker

But at some point you're going to realize that instead of just living in a state where you have rights, you spent your life fighting an entire population that doesnt want you to have rights, or just doesnt give a shit.

Good luck though. sorry, didnt mean to turn this into an anti-cali thread, although it automatically is :o

12. Rip The Jacker

Of course...best of luck to you. I'm fortunate that I dont have to make the decision to move. I probably wouldnt be able to.

13. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Thanks for the review! I'll work on the baseplate adhesive placement so it doesn't show on production models. Shenaniguns is getting a pair of 10/30s for evaluation as well as the aluminum dowel that was used (raw, scuffed, and treated). I'm also looking into having a one-piece mold made so the follower and dowel are one rather than two pieces bonded together.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You can also run a non pistol grip stock on your AR then you can use standard capacity mags without a bullet button. I rather have a odd looking AR that can use real standard capacity mags than once that looks correct but is neutered. I guess you have to choose between looks and function. Posting pics of your rifle on the internet or shooting standard mags.

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/2723; U; en))

for a second there i thought magpul made a mag for the ruger 10/22

i somehow read 10/20 as 10/22

16. I did that too. :o

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Law is really poorly written there is no way to prove you did not own the mags prior to the ban. While I did not have to do this as I have a registered AW, there is speculation that some of these new OLL AR owners are actually getting their mags from Vegas and claiming they always had them. No way to prove that they didn't and law enforcement is not interested unless the mag was used to commit some other crime.

Again some people are more concerned with looks, which is fine. I prefer function myself.

Regarding the M1a if that is what you have go for it. If your buying a M1a specificly to shoot 3 gun your most likely going to get junked by the guys with the AR-10's. It also puts ou into heavy metal class where you need to shoot a 45 cal pistol, 308 rifle, l as well as a 12 guage pump. You could also shoot a m1a in tactical or limited and get junked and embarassed by the guys shooting 223 rifles.

18. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

PMAGs didn't exist before the ban so if you have a standard capacity one without a high-cap license, you'd be up shit creek without a paddle.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I believe you can use the mag body to repair a existing mag that worn out or has become damaged

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Their followers and springs are unique to any other mag to so I think you'd be hard pressed to prove you replaced an old mag.

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Those wore out too, and needed replaced?

22. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

How do you register an assault waepon in CA?

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oh I was just going off what Yar said about replacing bag bodies, I didn't know ya could replace the springs and followers and base plates too.

24. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

In for evaluation mag?

I have a 10/30 Pmag from RifleGear.com

That one is flawless, baseplate looks clean, no spring binding or follower problems.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I don't think there is anything special about the magazine spring. So say you had a ismi spring in your beat up 30 round thermold mag with the wore out feed lips. Then you bought a pmag replacement body, follower, and base plate. You then switched your ismi spring from your thermold mag over to the pmag. Take all your thermold and toss it in your junk parts box. Hopefully you don't misplace your junk parts box but if you did it is not your fault because you are not obligated to prove anything it is up to the prosecutor to prove you didn't