SRS 1 in 5 Young Adults Have Personality Disorder, Study Finds

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Dec 2, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

2. 7960

7960 New Member

"One expert said personality disorders may be overdiagnosed. "......... I agree with that one.

I also find this curious. "Counting substance abuse, the study found that nearly half of young people surveyed have some sort of psychiatric condition." Substance abuse is a psychiatric condition?

Also, how do they define substance abuse? Oh, wait, it's "Substance abuse, including drug addiction, alcoholism and other drinking that interferes with school or work" so are they including anyone who drank too much and missed an early morning class the next day?

:rolleyes:

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

This is substance abuse...

* A. A maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by one (or more) of the following, occurring within a 12-month period:

1. Recurrent substance use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home (e.g., repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions or expulsions from school; neglect of children or household)
    2. Recurrent substance use in situations in which it is physically hazardous (e.g., driving an automobile or operating a machine when impaired by substance use)
    3. Recurrent substance-related legal problems (e.g., arrests for substance-related disorderly conduct)
    4. Continued substance use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the substance (e.g., arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication, physical fights)

* B. The symptoms have never met the criteria for Substance Dependence for this class of substance.

---------

These results though are surprising. Personality disorders are stable and quite a problem for everyone.

4. cooldragon

cooldragon New Member

so basically 20 percent of the young people are not normal and need help. i definitly dont belive that. these scientific studies are filled with false information. The research they do is pathetic. they overdiagnose everything and dont prove anything.

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, if they fit in the diagnostic category (and either feel distress or know functional difficulties), I don't see why we should think it's not true instead of trying to figure why so many people are unhappy.

6. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

what is normal ? There is no such thing as personality disorder. It just means you are not like everybody else or the standard set by society/humanity.

7. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Yeah, Jeffery Dahmer was just misunderstood by our society.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Not really. What matters is not if you're "normal" or not but mostly if many spheres of the persons functioning are disturbed (social, cognitive, emotional, professional and so on) and/or if it creates an important distress.

9. off the grid

off the grid Guest

Pure bullshit. Psychiatric disease mongering. They won't stop until every man, woman and child in the world is on medication.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Fortunately, personality disorders necessitate psychotherapy, not so much with medication (except maybe for borderline patients).

11. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

If you look at the epidemiology of psychiatric disorders, you wouldn't be surprised by this. Do you guys know how many personality disorders there are out there? :rofl:

12. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Here we go again....

13. EYOB

EYOB Guest

That's a lot, wow.

14. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I think part of the problem is definitely disorders being overdiagnosed. However, I'm not so sure what to believe after that. Maybe it's just that people are more willing to open up about their problems in today's society? I'm not really sure, but it does feel like there is a rising trend in mental disorders.

And to those who keep talking about medication, the doctors/psychiatrists doing this are idiots. I firmly believe that psychotherapy should be tried first and medication only tried once this fails. It sometimes takes a combination of meds and therapy. And there ARE certain people who do need these medications. I think most people only need therapy, but there are some people with fucked up brain chemistries or whatever other biological problem there can be. They need the meds. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell who has these problems and who just needs therapy...

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

What are you basing yourself on to say that disorders are overdiagnosed? Some problems are easily diagnosed (ex: depression, by GPs) but some others are underdiagnosed and some professionals tend to diagnose more than others.

I'm a psychologist in training and although our diagnoses do not hold any legal value, I have to argue to finally diagnose someone because they meet all the fucking criterias but most psychologists are either unsure of their judgement or feel that some diagnoses are too important to make after a few evaluation sessions (like schizophrenia and personality disorders).

And let's not kid ourselves, therapy is not for everyone for plenty of reasons : money issue, motivation, duration of the treatment (people want to be fixed in 1 month... right :rolleyes: ), the draining active participation it takes, lack of introspection and so on.

16. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Based on my observation and experience I would say that's accurate.

There are so many different kinds. There is a lot of abuse, violence, illness, and various pitfalls, that a very large portion of people are affected by.

If you look at the rate of illness on the CDC website, you'll note that diseases alone are rampant. We grasp control of one, and another appears. Well more than half the people in this country are sick with some type of health problem based on CDC statistics, never mind syndromes and disorders of the psychological kind.

The numbers add up quickly, illness is prevalent and rampant in the human race, we're not unbreakable and this is why health care and medical are such important parts of most of our lives.

Even if you're not sick, you know someone who is, and if you don't, a friend does.

Bottom line is that, people struggle with psychological problems very commonly, but many can get through it with a strong support system or someone who can really help, whether a doctor, therapist, strong parental figure etc.