1 DD 15 vs. 2 Infinity Perfect 12s

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

Alright, heres the deal. my friend got a new car and his 15" DD wont fit in the trunk (mustang gt). he wants to switch me subs, and ill give him $50 for the difference.

i dont know which model the DD is, but i know hes told me it can take about 2000 watts, and hes got 1800 going to it now and it slams. ive got a JBL 1200x1 amp thatll be put on it.

which will be louder:

2 Infinity Perfect 12.1s on the JBL 1200x1 amp (600x2)
    - OR -
    1 Digital Dynamics 15 on the same amp?

we are going to hook it up later tonight but i just wanna know how :o

2. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Ok it's Digital Designs, and most of their 15s can handle 2000 watts. The 9500 series can handle 2000+ watts. The 9515 can get worlds louder than those 2 perfect 12s. However, you dont have enough power to get that sub moving right. You MUST put it in a ported enclosure, do not put it in a sealed box. But if you put 2000+ watts on it in lets say a 5 cube ported box with 100+ square inches of port it would be stupid loud. I did a 150 with 1 9512 and 2000 watts. However, the Infinity's may sound better, and dont take up that much space.

3. 04

04 Guest

Axilrod, you incorrectly assume that you must have 2000 watts for the driver to perform correctly. If I recall the driver is rated at 1k RMS. Who told you that you must have 2k for it to "move right"??? Unless you are talking about non linear voice coil travel due to less power, when driven to extremes, you are inccorect. I surely hope DD did not tell you that. The power rating is the max limit the driver can take, not the lowest reccomended wattage, unless the manufacturer severly underrates their products. With a 3" voice coil like it has, I bet that a lot of that power is lost due to power compression. I bet you could get that driver pretty close to its mechanical limits with a JBL 1200.1. He doesnt nessecarily need 2000 watts of power for it. Now he might be better off buying a cheaper driver, such as the 9015, but it still doesnt make the driver BAD! for his application.

4. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

its in a ported box already, not sure how many sq. inches, or what its tuned to. we are going to put it in my car tonight to see how it sounds with the jbl on it.

5. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Alright, well IMO the driver performs best with very high power. I had an Orion HCCA 250r on it just to play with and I upgraded power to a Concept CC-D2400, an Orion HCCA 275G4, tried 2 strapped Memphis ST1000Ds, and the sub took it just fine. The HCCA 250r didn't do shit for it, so that's why I made that statement. The last amp I had on there was the CC-D2400, and I did like 5 minute wide open burps on that sub and it never gave me any problems. But from personal experience, and experiences my friend's have had, 9500 series subs need at least 1200 watts to post really high numbers. And please don't address me like I'm a moron, because I've been installing for a year and a half, and I have to start somewhere. Jesus Christ, I know what a fucking power rating is, RMS and peak. And people put 4000-6000 watts on those subs for burps, so dont tell me that a shitty ass JBL 1200.1 will put that sub close to it's mechanical limits.

6. 04

04 Guest

Um, ok, but yes, I still think a 1.2kW amp can push that driver to its xmax limits. When people burp them with 6 to 8kW they are either doing it at the tuning frequency or higher, where cone excursion is not very high. Burp with 6kW under the tuning, and you will most likely have a toasted driver. I havent personally heard a 9515, so yea, perhaps it does need 2kW to be driven to its maximum levels without distortion. Just the way you put it made it sound like he should not buy the driver, because he didnt have enough power.

7. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

I apologize, me and my girl got in a fight last night and I was itchy as it was.

8. Geezle

Geezle Sweetness :love:

Going from the original question, with the 1200wrms, the DD would get louder, but the Infinity's will most likely sound better. Do you have any way of finding out which model of DD we're talking about?

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

buy my amp if you want some power for it