1.5 Din?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], Oct 25, 2005.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Alright I was wondering if there was a 1.5 DIN in dash CD changer made out there in the aftermarket. I've done some research and I'll I am coming across is double DIN changers and 1.5 DIN with CD changer controls.

I have a 2003 RAM 3500 and there is a stock one I believe that I might be able to ahold of, but I would prefer to go aftermarket as long as there is some way to make my wheel mounted controls work with the aftermarket head unit. Satilite radio (XM) ready would be nice, but just the changer would be great. Stock sound system is infiniti.

So if anyone knows of any 1.5 DIN I would love to hear of them

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

indash changers are junk... a lot of companies have tried, but all are junk.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

What are your goals for this system and what is your budget? Do you just want a new HU, why? As for retaining the wheel mounted controls, that depends if there is an aftermarket company that has a unit made for your vehicle. Afaik, the only way to retain your wheel controls is attaching a device that connects to the controls then emits I.R. signals that are identical to the remote that comes with your HU. Oh, and I agree with twisted.

4. twistid

too bad you're not in socal... iirc pac was looking for people to test their steering wheel remote pieces for alpine.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Basically my goals for the system are modest at this point.

I have a 2003 RAM 3500 infiniti sound system. HU is a 1.5 DIN AM/FM/CD/Cassett. There is a factory option for a in dash 1.5 DIN CD Changer/AM/FM. I've read that there is a way to hook the wheel controls to mimick the remotes. Basically I am probably going to sound deaden the whole truck around christmas time. But the system I just want to have a CD changer at my firger tips that will work with what is already there. The truck will get long drives, it already get a 1.5 hour trip each way once a week. But it will also see florida to texas drives and florida to maine drives. So I would basically like to be able to change more than one disk in the changer w/o having to dig under a seat or in the center console ect, so that I can do it while driving on the interstate, look down pick a CD and mash a button on the dash swap the CD and a couple buttons and swap another CD and its all new music again. All w/o fumbling around and taking my eyes completely off the road for more than a few seconds.

I have been told that it might be possible to modify it to take a double DIN but no one I have asked can tell me if only the dash faceplate would ahve to be modified or if the actual, mounts behind the face plate would ahve to modified as well. SO if anyone knows exactly what has to be modified or has a link to a tutorial on it, I would love to have a look at it.

I want aftermarket if possible because MP3 support, usually better than stock (cheapest part by the lowest bidder type deal) and some of them have the option to hookup a satilite radio later on.

6. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

With mp3 decoding do you really need multiple discs in the dash? I have a Dakota with the in-dash CD changer, but only because it was already in the one I wanted. I don't even like the idea of a CD changer. One of these days I'll get around to getting one that plays mp3's.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I guess that is an option, to get MP3 and have much much longer CDs. there are some 1.5 of those, so I wouldn't have to do trim work. Still if there is a 1.5 changer that will play decently and function I might still be interested.

How about 1.5 DIN that have a fold out screen and DVD camapability as well as MP3 and maybe satilite radio anyone have any recomendations for that?

8. veonake

I think the best solution for you is to either burn mp3 discs and buy a mp3 compatible HU OR buy an Alpine HU and an iPod. An mp3 cd will hold about 15 albums. If you got an Alpine/iPod combo you'll have more music than you know what to do with and it can all be controlled via the Alpine interface. Just hide the iPod someplace else.

9. veonake

Have you checked Cruthfield? I'm afraid I've never heard of a high quality 1.5 Din HU. Finding something high quality in 2-din is hard enough, 1.5.... good luck. I say do a standard 1-din and buy a bracket. Won't look pretty, but it will work. You can have someplace do something custom later on if you want.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

in your truck, you won't be able to use a 1.5 DIN radio anyways, because the factory radio is rounded on the corners. so here's your options: alpine/iPod, kenwood music keg, kenwood/iPod, fmmod a changer/iPod/music keg. scosche and metra both make dash kits for your vehicle, ISO or DIN mount, with or without a small pocket. AFAIK, there are no more in dash changers made by the aftermarket anymore because they are shiiaaty.

edit: you could also get a mp3 compatible cd changer. i know with kenwood you can do the iPod interface and a CD changer, or Sirius satrad

11. twistid

a guy came in early summer with his old alpine 1.5 din from his older dodge truck we done, and wanted it in his new dodge truck. we told him it could not be done, and he should just buy a new deck and the proper parts. he said he'd do it himself then. so a month later he comes in and says he needs an atenna adapter, and that he got it to fit just fine. so i went out to see it, and i was like... :o :eek3: :eek4: :ugh: :rofl: in that order, because he had used a drimmel to cut out the hole more... and you could tell he was either stevie wonder with a weapon, or drunk when he did it.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: i remember those days. if the customer was a dick, i would call him out big time about teh shit job. if they were cool i'd be like, you might want to file those edges just a little bit.

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

got links to scosche and metra sites or places that sell em?

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member