1/2 farad capacitor plenty for 200 RMS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SHIFT_blue, Oct 23, 2004.

1. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Im planning on buying a single channel mono amp to power a 10in sub. Im looking to get one that puts out 200watts RMS. Im thinking a 1/2 farad capacitor should do fine. What do you think? Ive never used a capacitor before.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Dont waste your money. Your alternator will laugh at that amp.

3. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Haha I thought I might not even need one. Thanks for the reply.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

It wouldn't hurt, a stock alternator pushes out about 70-80 amps. A typical car electrical system draws about 60 amps or so and an amp pushing out 200 watts RMS draws about 20-25 amps.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If your alternator cannot support your amp, a capacitor will not even help -- remember, once that drains (almost instantaneous) it becomes ANOTHER load for your alternator to charge.

6. 04

04 Guest

Only if you are running your amplifier at full power non-stop it would draw 20-25 amps. Music is quite dynamic, and even overdriving the amp will usually end up with a net power output of 1/4 or even less than the maximum RMS output. That is of course assuming that you dont have the gain cranked up like 20 decibels past clipping or something crazy like that.

Many caps are poorly made so that they dont even help at all. You want one that has a very low ESR and ESL. I think anything past a milliohm is generally considered worthless.

7. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

So you think I would be safe running an amp rated at 400 rms on a sub rated at 275 rms?

8. 04

04 Guest

Yes.

You could still blow it though. However, if you use common sense, that probably wont happen.