05 Mazda 3

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by McClane, Oct 23, 2004.

1. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

Looking at buying a Mazda 3-5 door (hatch). Test drove one, pretty fun car to drive...really like the body and the interior. Never owned a mazda or know much about them. They seem to have a good reputation, but the 3 is only a 18-23k car..."you get what you pay for". Anyone heard any good/bad things about this car? I have a fear of buying a new car in that price range and having it being cheaply made :o

I can't think of really any other cars around that price range that really catch my eye...:dunno:

btw, I drive an is300 right now, and I'm sick of it...looking to try a different style of car...and something with better MPG while I'm at it :o

2. AngryPotato

AngryPotato New Member

Dude, the 3 is bad ass for its price.

I have had a protege for 9 years with 160k miles on it and the thing still takes a beating. Snow, bad weather, and getting hammered for 9 years and it still runs fine for a 12.5k car I bought new. All about the maintenance. Worst thing I've heard about Mazda through the years are tranny issues. If I was stuck at your price range I'd definitely get a 3 followed by the Scion tC. Hope this helps.

3. Romulus Cogswell

Romulus Cogswell New Member

I've been enjoying my 3 hatchback for 6 months now and I am very happy with it. For the price you are getting a lot or car. Build quality is excellent inside and out for a car considered to be in the economy class. The 2.3 is plenty powerful and is a blast to rev up in the twisties.

4. dem0n697

dem0n697 Comfortably Numb

Working as a Mazda Tech, The 3's are nice cars, but I still prefer the 6s over them. Yeah theyre more expensive, but the ride to me is so much better. But then again, im spoiled with my job as to how i judge the vehicles

5. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

what kinda mileage do you get in the IS?

6. McClane

im not really stuck in the 3's price range. i have looked at 05 accord coupes and s2000s as well.
    my IS gets around 16-17 mpg

7. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I've had my Mazda 3s since March and haven't had any problems yet. I get great gas mileage, especially on freeway driving. I averaged 27mpg going to Chicago a few weeks back and that's with a bit of stop and go due to traffic on I-80. All in all, it's by far the best car in it's price range I think. The interior is the best in it's class and it has decent power for a 2.3l 4cyl.

8. kazzman

kazzman New Member

The wife and I just bought a brand new '04 3 hatch last night. We were just talking about looking at something different the night before because her Blazer gets about 12 MPG. So we looked at Mitsu Outlander (I'd never buy, plus horrible dealer experience) then we decided to go look at the 3 before the dealer closed. She didn't like it at first because it was not as much room as her Blazer, but then she drove it and fell in love. So we decided to see what we could get on trade-in for the Blazer, and Mitsu dealer would only give us $10K (we owed $12.9K). So they said what will it take to get you in the car tonight, and we said pay off the Blazer. So they gave us payoff on the Blazer. It seemed to be a very well made car for the money, and it had a lot of getup for a 4 cyl. I also liked the overall design of the hatch. I think we'll be very happy with it. I had fallen in love with the 6 when it first came out, but had never gotten to drive one, but I think like this 3 a little better.

9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

I think this is a hot car for the money. Although I would miss the power and comfort of my 01 Maxima. :hs:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  10. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

so u get a new car yet?

11. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

can you list your price, and your options?

12. McClane

nah still second guessing myself. i rushed into the is300 and had buyers remorse...taking it slow this time :o

13. Romulus Cogswell

Romulus Cogswell New Member

3 weeks later............... 5 spd hatchback with sunroof and 6 cd changer. Out the door I paid $17,165.

14. Siblack

Siblack Old Member

what do you regret about buying an is300?

15. beaniemak

beaniemak New Member

Did they add anything new for the 05's?

16. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

proteges are awsome cars, and the 3 probally are too.