05 Ford F-250...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by victionone, May 31, 2005.

1. victionone

victionone New Member

Got a 04 F-150 and have been seriously considering trading it in for a F-250 with 6.0 Powerstroke and have a few questions. Noticed the new Ford diesals have a smaller displacement. What's the difference between them and the older ones? I hear that they have good gas mileage, but there are no ratings anywhere. What do they average, city and highway? Also, I hear that the ride is a lot rougher than the F-150. Haven't test drove one yet, but has anyone here driven both of them and have a opinion? I live is SF and our roads are crap. I'm looking for extra power to tow my boat this summer... :naughty:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you only need an F150, then stick with it. The F250 has a solid front axel, so the ride is signifigantly more rough. In 05, Ford did switch to coil springs instead of leaf springs, so your turning radius is much-improved. However, it still rides like a "truck"... Not like the F150.

As for gas mileage, the GVWR is too high, so they doesn't rate fuel economy. This is the same with all 3/4-1 ton trucks. People report as low as 12mpg and as high as 22mpg. If you have no loads, and you have a light foot, you could get upper-teens. But it's inconsistant between reports. On my testdrive, I was accelerating fairly agressively, and I got 13.5mpg. I imagine I'd get 19 mpg or so with normal highway driving.

As for the 6.0L compared to the old 7.3L turbo diesel. The 6.0 is MUCH better. The biggest difference is the transmission. The old 7.3L tranny was a normal gas-tranny that was built up to handle the diesel. Unfortunatly, people that towed a lot were having issues. This is due to Ford using a transmission that wasn't originally spec'd to handle the power. The new 6.0L is using Ford's "TorQshift" tranny, and it's a good design. It was built from the ground-up to handle the diesel's torque. Something to note is that the F250 does *NOT* have a boxed frame. It is C-Channel from front to back 100%. Some people confuse that fact thinking that if the F150 has it, that the F250 must... But it doesn't.

If you need the power of a diesel, the F250 is a GOOD truck. I think it's only competition is the Chevy/GMC 2500HD. The 2500HD rides a lot smoother (thanks to it's independent front suspension). Engine wise, the 6.6L is a good engine for them, and the Allison tranny is great.

Both trucks are good. Get the one that YOU like most. But I suggest you drive BOTH before you buy one. If comfort is an issue, then the GMC is likely to win. But the Ford does have a great product, and it is a little bigger.

3. victionone

victionone New Member

I test drove a 1500 Silverado before the F-150, and it felt spongy and clumsy to me. The F-150 felt more solid and stiff.

Did a little browsing on a Ford forum and Ford is releasing a new SuperDuty for '07. Looking into that a little bit...

4. chandojmc

chandojmc New Member

Yep, supposedly Ford is supposed to do a complete sheet metal change for '07. There have been rumors of twin-turbo set-ups (more believeable if they were the type that worked in tandem and not at the same time). Other than that, virtually nothing has been leaked by Ford yet...