04 GTO

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ww_Crimson, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Test drove an 04 GTO today and I liked it a lot better than the 350z/G35. I know that the 05/06 GTO's have the 6.0L instead of 5.7, but I was wondering if there are any other real differences. Any of you who own a GTO, what are some things you like/dislike about it after driving it a while.

I'm looking at an 04, black on black, auto-trans, with 22500 miles. The dealers asking price is 21960, what do you think would be a reasonable offer for me to go in there making?

2. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I would honestly buy one for a DD. They are quick and comfortable but you can def feel how heavy they are.

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Yeah, I definitely was able to feel the weight, but it made the ride feel a bit smoother. I'm going to take it for another test drive tomorrow morning when hopefully the weather is better. If it is, I'll go for a longer driver rather than a short mile sprint on the freeway

4. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

The price to me seems a bit steep then again I'm not sure where you are and I'm used to cheap prices here in the midwest. :o

5. iansane

iansane Active Member

Auto? ...Why?

6. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

fuck a stick car if you commute is nothing but stop and go everyday

7. iansane

iansane Active Member

:rofl:

Vagina.

:wavey:

8. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Auto because I don't have a stick car to learn on right now and I honestly have enough distractions driving as it is, like the stereo and cell phone. I do very little highway driving. I'm going to go in saying I can't go any higher than 21000 OTD. They've had the car on the lot for a few weeks so its not a super hot seller. I just posted my car for sale online so that should bring in a few extra $$$ selling it private party. I'm in California and most dealerships with similar GTOs are asking about the same. They blue book for 22k Retail, so I think 21000 OTD isn't unreasonable.

9. Biohamhock

Biohamhock wtb traction

05/06 also has an upgraded braking system. That seems a bit pricey for an 04 since I paid 22k for my 05 with 18k miles on it 6 months ago from carmax. I realize it's CA but still. If you get the auto make sure you pay careful attention when driving in the rain as it's been known to shift into a lower gear and break traction without much warning. Good luck with the goat search

10. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

I wouldnt really go after an 04 if I were you. the one I test drove had brake fade instantly. not a comfortable feeling when you're haulin ass down the highway in a 2 ton brick with soft brakes :o

11. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I drive stick every day in LA traffic. :hsugh:

21k even seems high for an 04, especially when I could have gotten a new 06 for 26k last year.

12. Rikus

Rikus New Member

The '04, as you stated, has the 5.7L LS1 instead of the 6.0L LS2. The tranny and rear end should be the same. The '04 has a different rear bumper with single side exhaust instead of dual exhaust. It also didn't have the option for the hood scoops available in 05-06.

Those cars are very, very nice and make great fun daily drivers. I'd recommend that you go for an '05 if they want that much, like everyone else is saying. It's a good car, but you can find a better deal for sure.

13. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The automatic is much better for drag racing on these.

14. Rikus

Rikus New Member

This is pretty much true for any american muscle car that's worth a damn. Only imports favor sticks, typically.

15. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

ABSOLUTLY.

After selling GTO's for 2 years the 05-06 feels MUCH smoother. We also drag raced a 04 and 06, and while the 06 was a bit faster it wasnt much at all. that is a very high price for an 04. we had them on our lot for 17k +ttl and this was 8 -10 months ago.

What dealership are you test driving at?

I know a LOT of people in that area and might be able to help ya out a bit.

16. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The manual is only good for those who like shifting, the automatics will always be faster and more consistent.

17. way to high on price even for the lower mileage

18. amac88

amac88 New Member

Thats true, if you look at any 60s/70s drag car, Camaros, Chargers, Chevelles, etc. theyre all automatics.

19. killaGTP

killaGTP Holden poser Moderator

yeah, after trying to slow down from 155 on stock 04 brakes, i upgraded real soon. the 05/06 brakes are a huge improvement.

20. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Scary story on this note...

Back in the day, my uncle had a Blue '70 Buick GS Stage 1 4spd, he actually swapped it to an Automatic because they were heavy into drag racing......and to think.....the latest one sold at Barrett-Jackson for $150,000 :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: We wanted to send him a video of he to ruin his day.......

21. FiKtIOn

FiKtIOn A bottle of Jack, a case of Pearl, and a pack of c

That's for different reasons.

Automatics were all the rage in the 60's and 70's, and now all the drag cars, they run built "automatics"

Not your average everyday 4 or 5 speed auto.

22. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I've done my time with a stick car for years in stop and go. Next DD i bought was auto and it was the best decisione ever :bigthumb:

My firebird is now an auto for the sole purpose that its way easier to go faster with one. I do miss shitfting gears in that car though :wtc:. BUT my other ls1 car has a 6 speed :bigthumb:

23. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

:cool:i'm glad we're not all ignorant here

24. slowrado

slowrado OT Supporter

seems like the price of the gto's are rising.

That seems to be the price for 04's all over the place.

25. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Well I picked up the GTO 2 days ago.. It was 22k out the door. Price before fees was 20600. It came with a 3 month bumper to bumper warranty, I paid an extra $1k for them to give me an extra 2 years on the bumper to bumper.

I've been told by a few people that I overpaid for it but almost every GTO I found was around the 20k range, give or take a few hundred. I'm really pissed right now because the breaks just started sqeaking a bit today and I think it means I need to replace them. They were fine when I test drove the car :-\. Anyways.. I like everything about the car except the stock stereo is pretty shitty. I'll probably have it upgraded by the end of next week.

Here are a few pics of it. I haven't got to enjoy it because of the rain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]