04-05 330i vs Audi A4 quattro

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by red97gst, May 29, 2007.

1. red97gst

red97gst New Member

2004 BMW 330i . Red, performance package (ZHP), 6spd

13k miles , $29k with tax, tags, out the door
    warranty almost up... prob have to ask them to shove free extended warranty on there

OR

2004 Audi 1.8T Quattro

9,500 miles, dark blue, warranty till Dec. 09

$24,800 from private seller

OR

2005.5 - 2006 Audi 2.0T Quattro

11k miles, silver/grey

$27,800 from carmax

I like the Audi for the nicer interior, and AWD. I live in the D.C. area and theres only snow on the ground for maybe 10-13 days/yr. Still would be nice for snowboarding trips, etc...

I already own a 97 Eclipse GS-T and will be keeping it as a project car...so I want a nice comfy sedan that is reliable for a daily driver.... then again I might be takin the subway to work each day so I might not drive it extensively...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd go with an '02 S4 but I cant find much with under 50k miles. This is the only one ive found and Im a bit hesitant about the yellow, not to mention no warranty... will the money saved be worth it even if I spend a few thousand extra maintaining an turbo S4/

[​IMG]

2. red97gst

red97gst New Member

S4 is 20k ... 40k miles, 2001 with H&R/stoptech...and some hard driven miles no doubt

3. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

zhp no contest. I was in a similar situation in 2004. I test drove the A4 3.0/6 and then test drove the 330ci zhp/6. It wasn't even close. The BMW is faster, has a stiffer/tighter suspension and over all had a much more of a drivers feel. I ended up ordering that bad boy new from germandy.

4. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

5. autobahn

autobahn New Member

A4. it's a better car.

6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

ZHP.

You are going to be surprised how well the ZHP's hold their value. It's the closest thing to a 4 door M3 BMW built in the E46.

(Prolly) less depreciation + decent price = win for red97.

Get the place you're buying it from to throw in a good warranty, and if it's still under factory warranty you should be able to go to the dealer and purchase an extended maintenance contract.

Call them and ask. Last I heard, they cost around $1500, but since it pays for brakes, oil changes, and major services until 6 years/100k it is well worth the price.

7. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

its a toss up, both are good cars but the ZHP is more performance orientated. The A4's are more geared towards comfort

i have a 03 1.8T and its served me well, no mechanical failures

i would go with the 2.0T instead of the 1.8T, but would prefer the 330ZHP over both of them

8. autobahn

autobahn New Member

BMWs are so.... obvious?

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

You want to explain that one?

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd get the newer of the two Audis. The BMW may be an "ultimate driving machine", but the Audi (especially with Quattro!) will definitely be able to hold its ground, and will be way more comfortable if you ever get stuck in traffic.

11. Doodie head

1.8T will have problems with the water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, coil packs, small hoses crack and tear. granted the car has low miles but its issues that will eventually come up. if you have a warrenty, i wouldn't worry about it

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Being the proud owner of a first-generation 1.8t, I know what you're talking about. It's really not any bigger of a problem than what he'll face keeping a BMW running smoothly, though. The vacuum hoses can be fixed by replacing them with silicone so they won't dry rot, the fuel filter needs to be changed periodically anyway (name a filter that DOESN'T get clogged), and the waterpump is a standard maintentance item to be changed along with the timing belt since the waterpump uses a grease-filled ball bearing that will eventually run out of grease. The only REAL problem you've mentioned is the coilpacks -- nobody's really come up with a good solution for that, though I did see one guy who bought a set of computer cooling fans and mounted them above his coilpacks to keep them cooler. (The damn plastic engine cover traps way too much heat.)

13. Doodie head

For his 1.8T, he can change the fuel filter every 20K, the fuel filter can clog and eventually over work his fuel pump. The bremi coil packs can be replaced with the older hitachi coil packs and remove the engine cover to remove heat from the engine bay. besides peeling interior pieces (same with the bmw) there isn't much things wrong with the car, just little things that might bug you

14. red97gst

red97gst New Member

so these issues with the coil packs dont apply to the 2.0l motor?

15. Doodie head

2.0T has different problems, one of which is the bypass valve and the PVC system. the motor is still too "new" to have the problems show up. wait till the guys have 50-60K and see if their water pumps sieze or timing belts break